Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
2wenty2

Project Name
How To: Install HID Kits

Project Description
HID lighting is High Intensity Discharge Lighting that requires a seperate ballast for each bulb and is extremely bright and available in many colors.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Tools Needed–
10mm socket for headlamp removal
Flat head screwdriver for Grille assembly removal
Electrical Tape
Tweezers or Dental pick
Phillips head screwdriver for back of headlamps
Zip ties(supplied with HIDS) for mounting
HIDS, Balasts, Wires (purchased)

Parts/Materials Needed
HID Kits for every one you want to replace.

Project Time
1-2 Hours maybe longer depending on skill level.

Project Cost
My kit was $118/set shipped from Ebay

I did not take pics of the grille removal or the headlamp removal due to MOST people knowing how to do it. However, if you need a know-how on the grille removal please look here…

Chevy Colorado Grille Removal - Putfile.com

For headlamp removal, you have (2) 10mm bolts on the top side of each headlamp that holds them on.. Remove and pull headlamps off.

Location of bolts for headlamps…

The first thing we did was to hook up one ballast and check all of the HIDS to make sure that they were all working properly. When we hooked up the highs, as well as the lows, we noticed that the wiring on the HIDS were backwards from the stock plug. (ie: positive was not going to positive) so we had to switch the connector around on the new HID plug using the Dental pick or Tweezers.

NOTE: Orange wire is the Positive wire for the Stock Plugs!

Below, the red and black wires are those of the HID plug, the Red wire(positive) was going to the Blue wire(on the lows) and the Pink wire(on the highs) before we switched them to be correct (shown below)

After we checked all of the lights to make sure they worked, we started installing by placing the 9006 and 9005 HID Bulbs in the headlamps themselves.

One thing to note.. while trying to place the new HID bulbs in the headlamps, they would not turn and lock into place, we have to loosen the three screws on the back plate in order to get the turned into place. Them once they were securely “locked” we tightened the screws back down. (shown below)

After getting the bulbs installed for the Highs and Lows, we moved onto the Fogs. We removed the stock bulbs from the fog housing and put in the new HID bulbs.

NOTE: The HID for the fogs do not come with a plug to replace the stock bulb. The stock plug MUST be used for the new HIDS.

Since the Fog HIDS (H11) come only with the “prongs” the stock plug must be used.. all we did was unplug the original connection..

Then, plug the HID prongs into the existing stock plug for the fogs (Purple wire is Positive)

Then.. wrap each individual prong separately to give it an extra layer of protection…

Finally, we wrapped the whole plug a number of times for water resistancy…

Once we got both of the HIDS setup for the fogs, it was now time to choose mounting spots for the Ballasts.

NOTE: Ballast mounting is owner preference. I can tell you right now it is a pain to find a spot for ALL 3 ballasts on each side to fit next to each other. I chose to separate them and make sure they would be COMPLETELY secure.

My choice for mounting these ballasts were here…

One you have the Ballasts mounted, begin hooking up all of the wires. There are 3 main wires that need to be connected. 2 round plugs ( one set coming from the HID bulbs, One set coming from the Ballasts that meet together in the middle.)

And 1 “rectangular” plug(1 set coming from the headlamp/foglamp plugs and 1 set coming from the ballasts which meet together in the middle. (example below)

From Ballast to Plugs…(rectangle plugs)

From Ballast to HID bulbs…
(round plugs)

Finally, Once everything is hooked up and mounted, reattach your grill…
Chevy Colorado Grille Removal - Putfile.com

and test them out. Some adjusting will need to be made for the height of the headlights. DON’T BLIND PEOPLE!.

Also, some adjusting of the fog light might need to be made, however, I do not have a how-to on the because mine were almost perfect. There is a nut on the back of the foglights that you have to turn to adjust them.

Here are some pics of the finished product.

Low Beam

High Beam

Low Beam

High Beam

Lows/Fogs

Side shot Lows/Fogs

My New HID Kit…

Blakelpd5’s 8000k kit

Side by side… Blake on the right, me on the left..

Showing High beam difference..

“stock” highbeam…

HID highbeam…

Visibility on the highway (lowbeams)

Any Questions feel free to ask.. or PM me. Special thanks to Blakelpd5 for helping with the install.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: How-To: Install HID kits

nice thread man.... i should have more room to mount ballast though, im not doing my highs. But i think the fogs on a non xtreme are actually 9045 bulbs, but you can use 9005s. Xtremes only are H11s i believe.

oh and what kit was it that you used anyway??

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

hhmm that looks familiar.. :D awesome write.. this helped me out alot when i did my hids

·
Registered
18 Posts

great write up bro, deff adding this to my favorites for when i do mine

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

I'm thinking about doing the retrofit now. Get a Bi-Xenon set-up and replace the low beam bulb assembly..... Just gotta find about $300.

·
Registered
81 Posts

so how exactly would that work?? what do you have to do/use??

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Cut up the headlight housings and mount up the projectors. You'd need the projects, bulbs, and ballasts from a car that has them OEM.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Cut up the headlight housings and mount up the projectors. You'd need the projects, bulbs, and ballasts from a car that has them OEM.
lol so i should rob them from my neighbor's BMW X5?? he won't mind... the beemer ones are sweet but mounting them up in our healight housing would hard hard no?

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts

I know its an old post but I just wanted to say it was a great write up. I ordered my HIDs today so hopefully I won't have to much trouble installing them.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts

I know its an old post but I just wanted to say it was a great write up. I ordered my HIDs today so hopefully I won't have to much trouble installing them.
Its a snap. If you need help hit me up. If you got the kit i sent u the link to you shouldnt have to switch any wires and it comes with plugs for the harness.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts

Shit there was the one dude on CF.com that did the retro fit job on his rado. He used the projectors from a Audi A4 if I remember correctly. He did an excellent job too.

ROB, who did that. Havent been over there in a while?

Jeremy

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts

Its a snap. If you need help hit me up. If you got the kit i sent u the link to you shouldnt have to switch any wires and it comes with plugs for the harness.
Yeah I got the kit you sent me in the link. 2 kits for $140 is a great deal.

·
Registered
8,614 Posts

Yeah I got the kit you sent me in the link. 2 kits for $140 is a great deal.
sure fukin is!!!!!!!!!!! :high5:

the only this is that u might have to reverse the polaritys (sp?) on the ballast for our trucks...i did :D

·
all your base
9,599 Posts

Shit there was the one dude on CF.com that did the retro fit job on his rado. He used the projectors from a Audi A4 if I remember correctly. He did an excellent job too.

ROB, who did that. Havent been over there in a while?

Jeremy
that was me.. :thumbup:

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts

Just got my Hids and The highs are working but not the lows. does anyone know what the problem could be?

1 - 20 of 149 Posts