Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
Xero

Project Name
How-to Install New Carpet

Project Description
Upgrading from vinyl flooring to carpet

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet/
Model: Colorado Z85 Ext Cab
Year: 2006
Engine: 2.8L
Power windows: No
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Utility Knife
Ratchet and Sockets

Project Time
N/A

Project Cost
N/A

The first step is to remove the seats, kick panels, sill covers and rear panels. I do not have a pic of the seat removal, but if you can't figure out how to remove the four bolts on each and unplug the electrical connectors, you probably shouldn't be undertaking this project.:)

Here is your starting point:

While I was removing all of that stuff, I laid out the new carpet in the bed in the sun, so it would warm up a bit and it would be easier to work some of the wrinkles out. This is a pre-molded carpet, but it still needed a little adjustment:

The next step is to remove the shifter assembly:

Now, the most annoying part of removing the old vinyl (or carpet): These little plugs are a pain. I pried them up a little with a flat head and the used a small pair of pliers to twist and pull them out the rest of the way:

Next, I laid out the new carpet and put the old on top to mark the areas that would need some trimming. I used a very sharp steak knife to do the trimming. (I know it sounds like an improper tool, but trust me, it is invaluable in tight areas and because of its serrated edge.)

Now, lay the carpet into the cab and mold it into all of the little dips and bends. DO NOT RUSH this part. Take the time to smooth everything out so you won't have wrinkles or loose areas.

Now, you will most likely need to do a little corrective cutting at the mounting points, as they may not all line up properly. I put the shifter assembly back on first, then the small piece under the dash board.

Next, I installed the seats. Notice that I have left a lot of carpet hanging out of the sides of the cab. I did this on purpose. You will trim the edges last.

Now, with both seats installed (or all seat in crewcabs) carefully trim the extra carpet on the edges and install all of your trim pieces.

The final result:

And:

Looks a hell of a lot better than before!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: How-To: Install New Carpet

Thanks! My next How-to will be: How-to spend a crapload of cash on your 'Rado in a short amount of time!

·
Registered
563 Posts

nice job!

·
Registered
93 Posts

nice job!! black carpet looks so much betterr....my buddy spraypainted his carpet black and honestly it looks wicked lol

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts

looks real good

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

lookin really good, an investment in your truck if you plan to keep it a while is to scrub and prep the floor for a few coats of paint or bedliner material. It will really help prevent rust.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It's from Auto Custom Carpet. About $100 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

with all that work you might as well of DYNO mated the interior but over all hell of a job boy!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
WOW!! i just replaced my vinyl..last weekend..with this same exact carpet..from ACC..and i had to wing it..lol..i wish i would have seen this sooner. but..we put my carpet on top of the vinyl..to act as a sound dampener..was this a smart move?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Mine turned out quite horrid. It was like 20 degrees outside when I did mine and the carpet was like wrinkled as fuuuuuu....yea. Needless to say, I think a four year old could have done a better job than what I did.
I'll be ordering a new carpet and doing it over again whenever I get back from my next deployment, as for now, it's good enough.

Great write up, wish I would have used it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts