Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
rshadd

Project Name
How-to install small fender flares

Project Description
Installing small (ZQ8) fender flares

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2009
Engine: 5.3L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Tools Needed
GM Small Fender Flares
GM Fender Flares Clips (#28)
Sissors
3M Molding Tape #03609NA
Denatured Alcohol

Project Time
2 hour or less

Project Cost
$100-300. I picked up a very nice set with all the clips for about $100.

New from GMPartsDirect, these are about $145-$205.

• Small (ZQ8) fender flares Blue - #12498850 (discontinued)
  • Small (ZQ8) fender flares Gray Grained - #12498849 ($146) (discontinued)
  • Small (ZQ8) fender flares Red - #12498853 ($203) (discontinued)
  • Small (ZQ8) fender flares Silver - #12498852 (discontinued)
  • Small (ZQ8) fender flares White - #12498851 (discontinued)

GM has discontinued the small painted flares, but their still available unpainted.

• Small (ZQ8) fender flares (Paint to match)
    Left Front : #89046239
    Right Front: #89046238
    Left Rear: #19120013
    Right Rear: #19120014

Fender Flare Push Pins(28 in total) - #11561353 ($0.45 each) You'll need 28 in total.

Start by laying the fender flares on a protected surface so they don't get scratched up. Clean the inside of the flares with some denatured alcohol to ensure that the double-sided tape will adhere nicely.

Next apply the double-side tape along the inside lip of each flares. I suspect that if you're buying these new, they'll already have the double-side tape applied.

Next use some of the denatured alcohol to clean the fenders on your truck. This removes any wax and will ensure proper adhesion.

Remove the backing from the double-sided tape and then carefully position the flares in the wheel wells and and stick them in place.

Secure them with the GM factory clips.

Reapply a coat a wax to replace the wax that you removed with the denatured alcohol then kick back and admire your new flares.

·
Registered
8,044 Posts
Re: How to: Install Small ZQ8 Fender Flares

Looks really good. Great write up.

·
Premium Member
8,695 Posts

I'd really like to do this given the opportunity to.

Has anybody thought to color match the push pins?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Yeah I will be doing something similar to this, but going from the ZQ8 flares to the Z71 flares!

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts

So, how do you install these where you want to make your truck look lower? I have heard of people doing just that and making the tire gap look smaller...kinda like the idea myself...any ideas?

·
Registered
192 Posts

So, how do you install these where you want to make your truck look lower? I have heard of people doing just that and making the tire gap look smaller...kinda like the idea myself...any ideas?
I think it would be possible to mount them a little lower on the body, but you would probably need to trim off the very bottom edge that wraps under the body. They do get some of their stiffness from being mounted against the fender lip with the push pins though so you would need to be able to make some spacers to allow you to still attach them under the lip, otherwise they would be a little flimsy. I was thinking that would be a sweet mod for a static dropped truck to get a little more tucked. The added height of the z71 flare would probably give you a little more room to move the flare down but you would need a wider rim tho fill it out nicely (like the mbrp drift truck).

·
Registered
47 Posts

Those flares look great but tell me this, if they are small ZQ8 flares what were the original ones you had on called?

·
Registered
724 Posts

where can i get these already red for my 05 crew cab ls z85?do they have them for front and rear or just front?would like to get them prepainted

·
Registered
463 Posts

Check out eBay for Colorado fender flares. They have the small ones in red white silver and blue if I remember right for around 360 shipped

·
Registered
724 Posts

found them,thanks,wonder how close the red is to matching my 05.victory red i think is what it is?think they were around 250..not bad

1 - 20 of 40 Posts