Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
GregDAP

Project Name
Install 3057 LED Bulbs in Tail Lights

Project Description
Replacing stock 3057 tail/brake/reverse bulbs with 3057 LED bulbs

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2011
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
#2 Phillips screwdriver
Pliers
Heat Shrink(optional)
Double sided tape
Lighter or Torch for heat shrink(optional)
Liquid Electrical Tape(optional)
4 Red 3057(3157) LED bulbs
2 White 3057(3157) LED bulbs
2 6ohm 50w load resistors w/ 4 quick connectors

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
4 Red LED 3057(3157) Bulbs $45.00-$60.00
Here is what I used... 4X Red 3157 SMD 96 LED Stop Brake Blinker Signal Corner Light Bulbs Bulb | eBay

2 White 3057(3157) LED Bulbs $30.00-$50.00
Here is what I used... 2X White 3157 3156 127 SMD LED Back Up Light Bulb GMC Ford Chevrolet Pontiac 30 | eBay

2 6ohm 50w load resistors with quick connectors $7.00-$10.00
2X 6ohm 50W LED Load Resistor Turn Signal Fog Running | eBay

Heat shrink(optional) $3.00

Liquid Electrical tape(optional) $5.00

Double Sided Tape $3.00-$5.00

TOTAL COST: $85.00-$133.00 (depending on cost of bulbs and other supplies used)

Step One: Remove drivers side tail light assembly with phillips screwdriver by removing the two screws and pulling/prying the housing out .

Step Two: Remove the sockets/bulbs from the housing by turning the socket 1/4 turn counter clock wise(sorry no pictures of this). Set housing aside.

Step Three: Preparing load resistor(optional).
I choose to wrap the load resistor in heat shrink. I also slid a piece of stainless steel in there as well to help with the heat the load resistors generate and give me a better mounting surface for the double sided tape(see Step Six).

piece of stainless steel

Step Four: Splice load resistor into signal socket wires by exposing the yellow wire from the harness that runs to the middle signal socket and using one of the quick connectors splice one of the load resistor wires into the yellow wire. The load resistor prevents hyper flashing when signal is engaged. You will have to cut the tape holding the wiring in the tubing to expose the wires

Pinch connector with pliers

Then expose and splice other resistor wire into the black(negative) wire that run from the reverse socket to the middle signal socket.

Step Five: Remove stock bulbs and install LED bulbs(make sure the white LED bulb is installed in the reverse socket).

Test them out to make sure they are working(brake/signal/reverse). Make sure signal bulb is not hyper flashing when signal is engaged. If any of them do not light up try removing the bulb, spinning the bulb 180 degrees and reinstall to reverse the polarity

I choose to coat the quick connectors with liquid electrical tape(optional)

Step Six: Mount load resistor. Please note that load resistors can become very HOT!! The longer the signal is on the hotter they become. DO NOT mount on plastic. The load resistors have small holes for mounting if you want to use some sort of self tapping screws. I choose to use double sided tape.

I cleaned the mounting area with an alcohol/water solution

Double sided tape

I choose to mount it here

Step Seven: Reinstall tail light

Twist sockets back into housing, stuff wires back into tubing, secure wires in tubing with electical tape and reinstall tail light housing

Double check lights

Repeat steps for passenger side...
PLEASE NOTE that passenger side signal wire is green not yellow... splice load resistor into the green wire on the passenger side tail light harness

Also some have used of a dab super glue to help hold LED bulbs in the socket. If you choose to use super glue make sure the glue is completely dry before reinstalling sockets into housing or the fumes could fog up the tail lights. The bulbs I used fit very snug so I choose not to use any glue. I have been running these for two weeks on and off road with no issues or bulbs falling out.

Night Pictures

:D:salute:

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
well done

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... I'm just happy to contribute something easy that can make a truck stand out from other trucks. Especially at night!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
really nice write up. very easy to understand.

i wish mine worked properly. i did this a couple years ago, and if i have the stock bulb in the turn signal socket it works fine and is on all the time when the lights are on, but when i put the load resister and led bulb in the turn signal bulbs only lights up when i turn on my turn signals. i called superbrightleds.com and spent 45 minutes on the phone with them trying to figure out whats wrong and the guy couldnt duplicate the problem. i've tried different resisters, and different bulbs and it still doesnt work right. i gave up trying to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
Nice! Good mod -- I was hooking up to my trailer today w/ LEDs all around and I was thinking to myself, boy LED tail lights sure would be nice.

Good How-To, I really would like to duplicate your work. The only thing holding me back is hearing how some people in years back have been unable to get this to work.

GregDAP, do you have LED running lights/turn signals up front?

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really nice write up. very easy to understand.

i wish mine worked properly. i did this a couple years ago, and if i have the stock bulb in the turn signal socket it works fine and is on all the time when the lights are on, but when i put the load resister and led bulb in the turn signal bulbs only lights up when i turn on my turn signals. i called superbrightleds.com and spent 45 minutes on the phone with them trying to figure out whats wrong and the guy couldnt duplicate the problem. i've tried different resisters, and different bulbs and it still doesnt work right. i gave up trying to fix it.
i've never had a problem with mine:shrug:

·
Registered
27 Posts
What does the load resister do?

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The load resistor prevents hyper flashing when signal is engaged.

Read step 4

·
Registered
27 Posts
oh ratz, I missed that info in step four! Thanks, I've been wanting to do this, now I have no reason not to...

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
most people dont have a problem with it. my truck is just tempermental.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your welcome... let's see some pics

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
751 Posts
I did this mod yesterday, my negative set up was different. I had to use the black wire from the reverse light only, on both sides. Using the way Greg wrote it up gave my hyper flash city. I have a 2004

Greg did you do a write up for the DRL? I ordered the same set up you have.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts