Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
Excaliber

Project Name
How To install a switch in your dash

Project Description
Installing an Accessory Switch in your Dash

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2012
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Dremel tool, Dremel Bits, Flat File, XActo Knife, Marker, Clear tape, Cardboard, Pen or Pencil

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
Effort if you already have the tools, switch, tape, x-acto knife, marker etc.

I will not cover wiring up the switch as many switches wire up differently, this post is about the actual physical install of the switch itself. Decide where you want to mount your switch in your dash, ensure their is proper clearance behind that area for the depth of the switch, connectors and wires.

You need to make a template of the size of hole you will need (I used Cardboard). Some switches have a rubber gasket, if so just trace it out on a piece of cardboard to make a template, if not grab the cardboard and exacto knife and cut and trim until the switch will fit into it. (if your switches uses tabs on the back side to secure itself make sure the template is small enough that it will force the tabs down a bit when you push the switch into it so then the tabs will pop back up on the other side of the template.

Here you can see the tabs that hold the switch in place by putting pressure on the back side of the dash panel.

Once the template is the proper size, take clear tape and mask off the area where you want to install the switch, cover the whole area. (the tape is to mark on so you don't end up with marker on your dash piece should you mark be a bit to wide or you crew up the 1st time you mark it)

Take your marker and trace along the inside of your template onto the dash piece where you want your switch to go, insure your marked area is square and centered.

Take the dremel tool and cut to the inside (waste side) of your marks, go slow, and cut the hole a bit to small the 1st time just to make sure you measurements were correct when making the template, you can always make the hole a bit larger, but you can not put back plastic you have already removed, I've done this in 3 steps, test fitting the switch each time to insure a perfect fit.

Below are the bits I used. I used the saw shaped one at 1st, then switched to the pointed one as I needed to remove small amounts of plastic, then used a flat file to make sure it was flat and even on all four sides.

MAKE SURE! to keep a firm grip on the dremel, they are known for getting a bite and running along the top of what ever you are cutting, so cut slow and make shallow passes repeatedly to help avoid this, don't go for big bites with each cut, small bits will keep it from jumping around.

This is very simple, just be careful with not making your hole to big, go slow, check and double check your work.

Here is my switch installed, too easy.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Glad to see you got the switch installed and...looks great! Thanks for taking the time to create this how to & show-off the switch illuminated. Bet it looks pretty awesome in the dark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts