Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
rshadd

Project Name
Installing a TrailBlazer SS Engine Cover on your 5.3L V8

Project Description
This how-to describes the parts and labor needed to install a TBSS engine on your 5.3L V8 Colorado/Canyon.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2009
Engine: 5.3L V8
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Tools Needed
  • 10mm wrench
  • 10mm socket
  • Rachet

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
$85 using used parts. $180, if you get everything new from your GM dealer.

Parts List

===============================
001- $1.76
002- $24.79
003- $92.06
004- $1.43
005- $12.75
006- $4.73
007- $7.36 (you need two, so $14.72)
008- (included with 009)
009- $7.99
010- $ 3.51 (you need two, so $7.02)
===============================
Total: $176.49

Shop around, I was able to pick up a fairly nice used TBSS engine cover for $55 shipped from a guy on the TBSSowners.com forum and it already had most of the pieces I needed. The additonal mounting hardware I picked up from my local chevy dealer for about $25.

Installing the TBSS engine cover
This is a complete bolt on. NO modifications to the engine cover were needed to make it fit. You may choose to trim the cover in some places, but that's strictly cosmetic and entirely up to you.

All of the mounting locations are already in the stock 5.3L intake manifold.

I started by installing the BRACKET with the two 10mm bolts.

Next, I installed the STUD with a 10mm wrench.

The engine cover then slips into the BRACKET and is secured on top with the wingnut BOLT.

I used some Silly Putty to check the hood clearence. As you can see by the pictures, it's a close fit, and there's going to be some rubbing.

A few shots of the completed project.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
holy shit that looks nice and cleans up the engine bay soo well.

so when is someone gunna paint one to install?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Good deal Rich!

I wonder how the Camaro SS cover would fit/look

·
Big Brother Owner
1,808 Posts
Now Rich, just need to get it tuned, CAI, and some SS badges for the doors.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
cool! How did I miss this! Anyone know the interchangeability of truck intakes this will fit? I have a 07 GMC 4.8L out of a van three bolt throttle body, cathedral port intake, will this fit it?

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
how do you check the power steering fluid?

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yeah I was not even thinking when I posted the question about the Camaro cover. The truck intake manifold sits way to high :shootme:

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
anyone know the interchange ability with a different intake and the TBSS cover? I have a engine out of a 07 4.8L van! I wonder how close the CP mounts are to putting the engine in the same spot as the factory V8s I really like this cover!

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
nice work rshadd

1 - 20 of 67 Posts