Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
Popgoesdaweasel16

Project Name
How To LED your cup holder.

Project Description
How to LED your cup holder to give some extra lighting and provide a cool accent.

Skill Level
Easy/Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools/Materials Needed
  • Cup holder.
  • Drill with 1/2 in bit and a smaller bit. (Width of LED strip.)
  • Dremel tool.
  • Two 4 inch LED strips. (One 8 inch pack.)
  • Rocker switch.
  • Black silicone.
  • Soldering iron.
  • Wire cutters.
NOTE: This how-to is presented with two wiring options.

Option 1 uses the battery pack that came attached to the LED strip. The option does not require any other power source except the included battery pack.
(This is the option that I used)

Use Option 2 if you want a permanent solution to having your LEDS on without the need for replacing batteries. Please scroll down for option two procedures.

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost

FOR OPTION 1

FOR OPTION 2

OPTION 1 STEPS.

1. Using wire cutters (not pictured) cut the 'try me' button off (about an inch down from it) the LED strip.

2. Drill hole into drivers side of cup holder. Using the dremel tool, grind the edges of the hole so the switch can fit. Keep grinding and adjusting as needed.

3. Tuck the battery housing up into the cup holder, right above the hole you just drilled.

4. Pull the red wire from battery pack and black/white wire from LED strip through rocker switch nut through backside of drilled hole in the cup holder.

5. Use the smaller drill bit (a bit wider than the width of the LED strip) and drill a hole into cylinder part of cup holder. Do this to both sides *I had already siliconed it in place before I took the picture*

6. Peel off the 3M backing tape from the LED strips and stick them on the inside of the cup holder just above the little ridge on the bottom.

7. Solder the red wire from battery pack to one side of the rocker switch. Solder black/white wire (attached to LED strips) to other side of the rocker switch.

8. Protect the electrical connections with electrical tape or heat shrink.

9. Tuck the wires and everything back into the cup holder. It should fit perfectly.

10. Apply a dab of black silicone where the LEDs come into the cup holder.

11. Enjoy your new illuminated cup holders!

OPTION 2 STEPS

1. Using the wire cutters (not pictured), cut the whole battery pack and switch off at recommended spot from manufacturer. (Labeled on wires)

2. Drill a hole into drivers side of cup holder. Then using the dremel tool, grind the edges of the hole so the switch can fit. Keep grinding and adjusting as needed.

3. Pull power wire from positive side of battery inserting a 5 amp in-line fuse.

NOTE: Do not install the fuse yet bringing the wire through the firewall.

4. Run power wire under door sill (gently lift up door sill, it should barely flex). Keep running wire under the door sill and bring it up underneath the seat to underside of cup holder.

NOTE: Don't forget to leave enough wire so that the seat can be adjusted without ripping out the wire

5. Pull ground wire from either negative terminal of battery and go through firewall or you could also attach it to a bolt underneath where your footwells are.

6. Run the negitive (-) ground wire underneath door sill just like the positive (+) power wire. Continue up under your seat to bottom of cup holder.

Note: Don't forget to leave enough wire so that the seat can be adjusted without ripping out the wire

7. Pull the positive (+) wire through rocker switch nut through backside of drilled hole in the cup holder.

8. Using a drill bit that is a little wider than the LED strip, drill a hole right above the bottom lip of cupholder. Do this to both sides and pull LEDs through your drilled holes. Then peel off the 3M backing tape from the LED strip and stick the strip just above bottom ridge.

9. Take the positive (+) wire that is connected to your battery and solder it to one side of the rocker switch.

10. Take the black/white wire that is connected to the LED strip and solder it to other side of switch.

11. Solder the ground wire to solid black wire that is connected to LED strip.

12. Protect the electrical connections with electrical tape or heat shrink.
  13. Install the rocker switch into cup holder and tighten the plastic nut that came with the rocker switch.

14. Install a 5 amp in-line fuse holder on the postive feed wire.

15. Turn rocker switch to ON and check LEDs.

16. If LEDs work then silicone holes where LEDs go into cup holder and let sit overnight.
Now enjoy your illuminated cup holders!

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it was fun as heck!

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts
Sweet addition, might be added to the "to do" list

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
nice idea.

Here was my first version:

Then I did these:

Then I added a toggle switch:

Ran a fused wire from the battery:

Positive and negative wires run under the carpetting:

In case I had to remove the console for whatever reason, I made some connector wires so the whole thing is not completely hard wired to the truck:

The internal wiring for the cup holders to the switch:

VOILA!!! We has power:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Great write up! Here's a picture of mine that I custom did . I bought LEDs, resistors, and some small wire then drilled holes in my cups older and installed them. Turned out great! ImageUploadedByAG Free1372952894.060611.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Ok so how do I get my cup holders out? Do I have to take out the armrest with the cup holders seeing how its all one piece?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Depends on what kind of center console you have. Mine just slides right off. There's a lever on the bottom of mine that I have to pull up

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good deal! What color are they? :)

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Q- how did you wire up your back ones? With a switch? Or one main switch on the front cup holder?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts