Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
Rastok

Project Name
How To lower your zq8 fender flares

Project Description
How to lower your zq8 fender flares about 5/8'' to reduce fender gap ----- inspired by the way the xtreme flares hang lower than the fender

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2006
Engine: 2.8L
Power windows: No
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
  • 3M tape (30 ft) (took 2 rolls of 15'' X 1/2")

• Heavy Duty Scott Towels

• Rotary tool with the sandpaper tip.

• Drill with 5/16'' drill bit.
  • Rubbing Alcohol (Isopropyl)
  • Angle Grinder with Cutting Wheel
  • Masking Tape
  • Sharpie Pen
  • Touch up Paint
  • Xacto Knife

Project Time
4-6 hrs

Project Cost
20-30$ for the 3M tape and the tools if you dont have them

I finally decided to go ahead and complete this project that's been growing in my head since I realized that the xtreme truck's fender flares where an inch lower than all the other flares available for our trucks. This is how I lowered my zq8 fender flares as much as I could do reduce tire gap and make the truck look lower.

First, be informed that there might be discoloration, paint damage or other imperfections that where hidden under your flares that might become visible after you lower them. I installed my flares 6 month ago and there was allready some rubbing marks visible on the clear of my truck.

Steps:

1. Apply some masking tape around your fender flare to mark it's original position.

2. Remove all the plastic retainers from the fender flares.

3. Try pulling the flare off the truck. Then if they don't come off, you can carefully cut the tape with an Xacto blade or use some heat.

4. Using an rotary tool with the sanding paper tip remove all the leftover tape from the flares.

5. Clean the back of flares and carefully clean the tape area with the rubbing alcohol.

6. Let dry, then reinstall new double sided tape on flare where the old tape was located.

7. Clean the truck where the flare was then, with your finger, heat and rubbing alcohol rub off the old tape off of the truck and clean the area good.

8. Now, using the tape that you've put you can position the flares about 5/8" lower than it's original position. I figured that 5/8" was the limit you could go down without starting to see the change in the body line.

9. Using the holes that are at the bottom of the flares, mark where you'll have to drill with the sharpie, then take off the flare and drill a hole of 5/16" on each side of the flare.

10. Put the plastic retainer in it's new position and fix the top of the flare with some masking tape so it does not fall down.

11. Take a step back and apply a piece of masking tape where you want you flare to be cut at the bottom.

12. Take off the flare and cut off the leftover with the grinder. Then, the edge from cutting with the grinder, could easily be cleaned up and made sharp looking by simply running a razor blade along the edge of it.

13. Apply some touch up paint and let dry.

14. Fix the flare in it's position with the two plastic retainers and remove the protective film from the 3M tape and press on the flare everywhere there's 3M tape. N.B. The flare is now holding only with the two retainers and the new 3M tape, the other plastic retainers will be left over.

:th_woot: You're done!! This mod lowered my fender gap by 5/8".

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Nice write up! Too bad I don't have a ZQ8...

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Nice write up.. Just one question. Why does it look like your girl is doing most of the work..:D

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice write up.. Just one question. Why does it look like your girl is doing most of the work..:D
Y'a she helped alpt clearing the old taper and to put the new one...i did all 4 flares That day so the help Wha really appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
3,522 Posts
Y'a she helped alpt clearing the old taper and to put the new one...i did all 4 flares That day so the help Wha really appreciated!!
Just messing with you! Actually wish there were times when my girl would throw in a helping hand. Real pain when you need a second set of hands and noone is around

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks alot!

·
Registered
509 Posts
very nice!!

that work only because you have sideskirt on your truck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice. I was starting to wonder how much lower the flares could be lowered.

Sent from my ? using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Mite have to try this

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice. I was starting to wonder how much lower the flares could be lowered.

Sent from my ? using AutoGuide.Com Free App
you could go i bit lower.. but then it's starts to look weird.... the lines of the truck start to look weirdo... imo

·
5,959 Posts
Damn dude I can't wait till I can do this. Around how much should I expect to pay to paint my flares factory white

1 - 20 of 24 Posts