Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
How bright are they in the daytime? That's the problem I'm running into with mine. They are dim in the daylight, but look good once it gets dark. Im wondering if my LEDs just aren't bright enough...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Don't know about in the day. Put them in the mail before I was able to take a pic. The LED's I used were 3lm each, which would be 6lm total.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If I may add something to help for the vertical set of 5 bulbs? These are what worked on my headlights for the side bulbs. They aren't overly bright, u can still see them during the day, more so than my halos, but I do believe they sell a brighter version now. But it gives you an easy way to have the colored side bulbs

https://www.ledlight.com/t10-wedge-hi-flux-led-light.aspx
So would the led t10 wedge hi flux light bulbs in the above link work for doing the halo's aswell or just the vertical 5 bulbs? I found some 3mm green led light bulbs on ebay, are these the right ones? and if so would they also work for doing both the halo's and the vertical strip?

10 50 1000 Pcs 3mm 2 Pin White Warm White Red Blue Green LED Lamp Light | eBay

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does ledlight.com have the 3mm led lights aswell? I can't seem to find them on the site, unless I'm looking right through them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread has been dead for a while now, but this is still a common problem with spec-d housings for more than just chevy vehicles. I was curious if OP has experimented at all with the new neo pixels, ws2811, ws2812b to be specific. I was able to replace all bulbs except the halos with these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AG923EU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and they fit amazingly well, given they weren't designed for it at all and I just used some clear silicone to seal them in. I found these (https://www.adafruit.com/product/738) which might work for the Halos but I've never messed with breadboards at all and I know it would still take some modification to work, but I was curious if anyone has taken this challenge. The standard led size is 3mm and these are 12, but they are much brighter and most importantly they are programmable with a controller, such as the sp105e controller so you can choose what color they are with your phone via Bluetooth. I don't expect a reply this late but I figured someone might be interested.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You might be able to get one of them in to the hole for the halo bulb, but not sure how the light would disperse through the halo ring. The amazon ones would probably fit best. I got tired of chasing a short across the low beams so I threw my Sped-D headlight into the trash. They were also starting to look like crap after a little over a year. If you want to try it my suggestions would be to use foil tape or similar material to reflect the light to the sides so all the light will go into the rings. You may need to drill out the hole carefully to fit the bulb into it. Did you cut out the individual bulbs or leave it as a strand?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, If I'm going to remove the housing to do that much work then I'm more interested in removing the original halos and replacing with LED halos with the circle completely made up of LEDs. They make Ws2812 versions of those too, it's just a bit of work to get them mounted properly but I'll do it one day. As of right now here is what I have. It's a video so I just linked to the video on my social media. (https://www.facebook.com/troupe.mcleod/posts/1695471333805311)

And honestly, I'm pretty happy with the way it looks now, even without the halo's so I may just leave it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm willing to make them for anyone that doesnt think they can do it. Will need some of the parts off your headlight depending on how you want it wired up.
my name is Kenny I live in Illinois and would really like some bulbs made for my lights I can't even find replacement bulbs if you could contact me at 217-671-8700 so we can talk I will mail you the pieces needed from my lights hope to hear from you soon

41 - 53 of 53 Posts