Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
gettingspeedy

Project Name
Sway Bar Quick Disconnect End Links

Project Description
Making sway bar end links that can be quickly disconnected for increased offroad capibilities

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2004
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
Hack Saw
9/16” Wrench
1/2" Wrench
Locking pliers

Parts Needed
Spherical Rod End Links (4) (Napa #732-1133, Dorman #116-203)
3/8" x 24 Threaded Rod
3/16” Lynch Pin (2)
5/16” Washers (4)
3/8” x 24 Lock Nuts (2)
3/8” x 24 Nuts (4)

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
$83.30, depending on region

Directions
Note: The measurements listed will work with stock, and suspension lifts where there are sway bar extenders, if you have early model skyjacker kits that replaced the end links, your process will be different.)

1. Park your truck on level ground to ensure that the sway bars are unloaded.

2. Remove your factory end links. Mine were rather rusty so I pulled out the sawz-all and cut them off.

3. Cut two sections of threaded rod at 4 ¾”

4. Put two standard 3/8” nuts on to each rod

5. Take two rod ends, add a washer, slide the end through the lower a-arm mount hole, add another washer, mark where you will need to drill the hole, and drill 3/16” hole

6. Screw on rod ends on to each end of rod, one end with out the hole drilled, one end with the hole

7. I tightened both rod ends all the way down, this is too short and you have to back them out, but this way you can be sure you unscrew each side equally. The side without the drilled hole goes through the sway bar, make sure to add washers on both sides, and then your 3/8” lock nut.

8. Same for the bottom, but instead of the lock nut, slide in your lynch pin and fold over

9. Tighten down the jam nuts

10. To disconnect simply remove the lynch pin and remove, make sure to not loose your washers. The end links will simply hang out of the way until you re-attach them. If you are worried about them hanging, a simple zip tie can be used to get them out of the way, I however wouldn’t worry about them.

This is a picture of the completed product, i didnt take any process pictures, you should be able to figure it out from this.

Anyone who would like these, but doesn’t want to actually make them, I will make them for you. You will pay ACTUAL cost of items, shipping, and $10 to cover my time/gas to get items. I will document with receipts that you are only paying cost for them, I’m not looking to make money, just an option for those who might not have time / tools / resources. However, parts alone are $83.30.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
cool write up shame thats so damn expensive could you get clearer picture of it I wanna try this?

·
Its too hot in Texas!
6,472 Posts
Nice write up bro!! I am sure a lot of the offroaders will love this!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will take better pictures today; I might go through and make another set. They are both the same thread, after they are on you don’t need to adjust them.

Thanks guys, it was my first write up, I’m slowly making the transition to the nation.

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
good write up sound easy to do and thanks for doing the reaserch for us is there any way you could get some mor pix like one of it disconected

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
thanks for the pic i think im going to try this befor i go 4x4ing again but i think im going to make both ends removable so i dont have to worry about it binding up even though it might not

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
But there is no real need to remove you endlinks, your not offroading.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.