1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For this example, I'll be using the following picture:

Click Here.

The first thing you'll want to do is open the picture in photoshop like so:

You'll notice that you have 2 layers, one background and one named "layer 1." There are a few ways to obtain the black and white version of your photo, the method I use is as follows.

You'll want to duplicate layer one (right click - duplicate layer) into a new document with the Color Mode set at grayscale:

Now, you have two documents. One grayscale, and one color.

Grab the grayscale document and drag it over to the color document, making the color document now have 3 layers. If you were to drag the color document into the black and white...the color would be reverted to black and white and it would defeat the purpose of this tutorial. ;)

What you'll want to do next is to select your color layer and drag it to the top on your layer order palette. Then, you'll select everything in the color photo except for the eye and delete it. There are multiple ways to do this as well, including layer masks, various tools and the like, but the way I prefer to do it is by using the Elliptical Marquee Tool and making a rough selection:

After you have your selection, select the inverse of it by pressing ctrl+shift+I. Press delete, and you will have removed everything but the colored part of the eye:

Again, there are multiple methods for the next step, but I then use the Polygonal Lasso Tool and draw around the eye, tracing everything I don't want:

Then, I delete it:

You should now be done...you can adjust the color balance and hues to suit your needs; I can complete this on a basic eye color change in under a minute. :)

You can use this technique for just about any color photo that you'd like to turn to black and white and then have color accents remain.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
This is a great thing to show everyone!!! I wish to see more in the future.

this is going to come in handy when modding pics of my 10 month old girl.

great job mc!!!!!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Very cool tutorial, I need to get back into using Photoshop. I haven't used it regularly in 7-8 years, I don't remember a lot of it.

M

·
0 Posts
Hey, what version/edition of PS is this? I have PS Elements 3.0, and I have a feeling I badly need an update.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CSII, it's chock full of awesome-ocity. Also, I've recently started playing with LightWave. :eek2:

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Nice MC.. it helped me finally figure it out. Here is a shot of a little girl (who lost her dad in the war) standing in front of our memorial. If I remember correctly, her dad's name is just above her head...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts