Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
brewer15650

Project Name
How-To: Maximize your stock air box.

Project Description
Increase the air flow and appearance of the factory air box.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado LS ZQ8
Year: 2004
Engine: 5cly
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Pliers, Dremel, 80 grit sandpaper, 320 grit sandpaper, Dupli Color bumper paint satin black (optional)

Project Time
10 hours or less depending on your work speed

Project Cost
5.00 and some elbow grease

Step
  1. Get a pair of wide flat pliers and grip onto a section of the rib bracing the bottom of the air box. You can bust them off two ways. Grip and twist or grip and bend back and forth. Either way works good but I like the grip and twist method better. Contuniue doing this until all of the ribs are removed.
  2. Use a dremel and a round sanding roll and smooth what's left of the ribs flush with the inside of the box.
  3. Using some 80 grit sand paper try to smooth everything out.
  4. Use 320 grit sand paper and continue smoothing out the inside of the box. Remember the flatter and smoother you make it the better its going to look in the end.
  5. Insert the inner fender well cold air tube into the side of the air box and mark the top of the tube with marker that protrudes into the center of the air box. You will be removing the upper portion of the tube using a coaping saw or dremel. Once you remove upper portion you will want to make the transition of the tube to the bottom of the air box as smooth as possible. **Note you can replace this piece with a 3"x? piece of alum tubing or plastic tubing for better airflow from the inner fender to the air box.
  6. After your done sanding everything you can either leave the inside of the box how it is, armor all of it or paint the inside with Dupli Color bumper paint(satin black). I choose to paint it. So I masked everything off except the inside of the box and put about 3 coats on the inside and left it in the sun to dry. The bumper paint is designed to stick to plastic so you don't have to worry about it flaking off and it gets rid of the grayish look of the plastic after your done sanding it.
Now for the pics.

Also pictured- 3" BPI Flow Stack with K&N Filter, Airaid Air Box Lid, True Flow 3" Intake Pipe from air box to throttle body.

**Note on handgunners truck he did the 3" pipe between the airbox and inner fender well and there was only a 3hp loss on the dyno when using the factory air box lid.** Here are his pics.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
wow good job on this write up dave!!!! did you do this at first and then switch to the airraid box or did it go into handgunners truck?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Hmm....I'll have to check yours out at the meet to see if I want to do this. You know how I'm all about the free mods!!:lol:

·
Registered
92 Posts
is there any aftermarket air intake kits for the 07 with the I 4 i havent found much of anything to fix up the I 4 , thanks
:salute:

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
no im pretty sure there are no aftermarket kits out for the 07s yet

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Interesting work. I think it looks good.

..and just when you think there is nothing left to mod on the stock airbox... BAM, here comes another member project. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Can any of you guys let me know where you got the intake pipes from, im trying to find one but might have to have an exhaust shop bend me one if i cant.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
this looks so nice brewer. good job. looks kind of tedious tho.

Gerry...since my intake is taking in maximum air for my truck would this mod do me any good performance wise?

either way it does look really nice!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Interesting mod. I wonder how much this improves airflow. I'll probably be ordering a velocity stack this week. I can't decide if I should keep looking for some EMT conduit to make my own intake tube to use with the stock airbox like you did or if I should order one of those generic AEM knockoff intakes from eBay and make a custom airbox for it. Hrmm, decisions, decisions....

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To tell you the truth I would just order a piece of alum pipe off ebay and run your stock airbox along with the flow stack and filter. It works just as good if not better than any of the other intakes that I tried.

Here is the pipe http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AROSPEED-ALUMINUM-TUBING-PIPE-30-DEGREE-BEND-2-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ003QQitemZ130111386353QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Make a note that you want the 3" pipe.

I can tell you that my steel Trueflow pipe holds alot more heat in than the alum one that hand gunners is running. Im going to be ordering that pipe to replace my steel one today.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I may just go with that.

I'm probably going to go with a Blox velocity stack. I'm waiting on a price to see how much cheaper it is from the BPi, they also have them in different styles. They have them in aluminum, either brushed or anodized black/red/blue and also in a black plastic like the BPi. I found them on one website for $35, but I found a vendor on Honda-tech that is having an introductory sale on them so I'm waiting to see what he gives me for a price. I already have a new filter I got from someone for $25, so if I go with that pipe you suggested I'll only have about $100 wrapped up in my intake. :D

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. Blox and BPI are diffrent. Blox's copyied bpi's stack and are making them cheaper. I did see that blox released an alum version. I actuley had an alum version along time ago but it was made by prototype racing it was alot longer than the ones beeing made now.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I may just go with that.

I'm probably going to go with a Blox velocity stack. I'm waiting on a price to see how much cheaper it is from the BPi, they also have them in different styles. They have them in aluminum, either brushed or anodized black/red/blue and also in a black plastic like the BPi. I found them on one website for $35, but I found a vendor on Honda-tech that is having an introductory sale on them so I'm waiting to see what he gives me for a price. I already have a new filter I got from someone for $25, so if I go with that pipe you suggested I'll only have about $100 wrapped up in my intake. :D
Hey Brake, once you get all the parts together, make sure to do a in depth how-to (lots of pics) and review of your "homemade" intake. I am sure a lot of us on here would be interested in making something like this ourselves.... :D

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I know they won't be identical, but I doubt there would be a noticeable difference between the two on a dyno. I don't know which I'll get yet, probably whatever is cheapest. It's going to be in the airbox anyway so it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Shit, I just realized your filter sticks above the top of the airbox quite a bit. Does it clear the stock lid? It doesn't look like it would judging from your pictures.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Awesome, thanks again.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
im def going to look around for one of those pipes. i might run it through the resonator tho.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For my tubing from the throttle body to the stock air box I used some 3in PVC Electrical conduit from Home Depot. I used a 90 degree elbow that has a gradual curve to it. I just cut it to length and it fit great. It's 3in I.D. and the thickness makes it 3.5in O.D, perfect for matching to the throttle body and stock intake. I'll take some pics and post it up. It's really cheap too. Here is almost exactly what I used:

http://www.mclendons.com/item.asp?sku=10073910&cat=Electrical&subcat1=Conduit&subcat2=

1 - 20 of 41 Posts