Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
For20

Project Name
How To: Paint Your Canyon Grille

Skill Level
Moderate - Difficult

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
800 Grit Sandpaper
Masking Tape
reciprocating saw (sawzall) or dremel tool
Cleaner (paint prep)
Primer
Adhesive Promoter (optional)
Paint

Project Time
2-3 Hours

Project Cost
Cost of Materials

Step 1: Use 800 grit and gently ruff up the surface of the grill. Just enough to take the "chrome" apperance away. Don't go to hard as to go down to the copperish layer. Do this over the entire "chrome section" enough so as when your done it should appear as brushed aluminum. Make sure to get in the inner lip really well so your paint does not chip off.

Step 2: Once you are satisfied w/ sanding, tape the middle section around the opening w/ masking tape, so when you turn it over you do not scratch it. Or slip with the sawzall and scratch it.

Step 3: Use a reciprocating saw (sawzall) to cut out the center bars as best you can. Be careful not to get to close in case you slip and damage the inner portion of the grille. Leave about a 1/4" of room between the grill and tabs. You can block it down (sand) later until you are satisfied.

Step 4: Once the cutting/sanding process is done and your are satisfied. Remove the inner bars and test fit your grill. Get a buddy to help you hold it and see where you would like it to sit. Install the brackets in the holes on the insert, then place back in the grille. Use a marker to mark the holes for mounting. Once you have done this on the top and bottom, use a 1/8" drill bit to drill your pilot hole. Now once again, get that buddy to hold the grill and mount it in place. Hopefully it looks good and flush now. Your reday for paint. :D

Step 5: Remove the grille and tape. (make sure to remove the brackets also) Take a scotch brite pad and gently rub ALL areas of the grill down with it.

Step 6: Now take an alcohol based cleaner and wipe the ENTIRE grill down. Then proceed to dry with a CLEAN cloth.

Step 7: Now you can perform the PLASTIC PREP stage. All of them vary, so please Check the direction on which brand you use. You might not have to do this step but it is recomended.

Step 8: Once prepped, coat with adhesion promoter. Wait the appropriate flash time, and coat evenly with sealer.

Step 9: Once ready, apply your first base coat. Wait about 5min, and apply a second.

Step 10: Go have a smoke (5min) and apply your first clear coat. Wait another 5 and apply the second.

Step 11: There you go. You painted your grille :D Now just wait for it to dry COMPLETELY and reinstall your insert.

Hope that covers everything. Any questions Pm me.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Painting a Canyon Grille

Thanks guys...I figured there were enough threads of "how should I's" on the other site, so I'll start this one off right and post this now. ENJOI

·
Registered
94 Posts

Nice write-up, almost exactly how I did mine. I didn't use adhesion promoter though. Maybe I will when we re-do mine this summer.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts

420, you rock. i was waiting for a write up. do you think the prossess is the same with the chrome upper bumper? minus the adhesion promoter for plastic?

god, im so close to getting my truck the way i want it.....

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah...I would still use adhesion promotor anyways. Better safe than sorry. But yea, doo it exactly the same. Personally, I'd leave it and paint the lower valance yellow. ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts

Why you redoing the grille? Is it starting to chip already?
Yeah, I made the mistake of painting the shell first before we mounted the insert. When we went to install the insert we hit the little edge in a couple spots and the paint came off a little. We tried to touch those spots up the best we could but now they're chipping off a little. It's really annoying but I guess you live and learn.

It's only along that small edge though, every where else is holding up fine.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:bump: It has been about a month...and I still have no peeling or chipping, I had one small rock chip. But I touched it up w/ my gm touch up tube and looks mint again...Just thought I'd let you guys know.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Re: How-To: Paint a Canyon Grille

my wife tailgated a gravel truck.....needless to say, its time to repaint. and this time ill do as i was told and use adhesion promoter. what is the purpose of a sealer on the ad.promoter?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

my wife tailgated a gravel truck.....needless to say, its time to repaint. and this time ill do as i was told and use adhesion promoter. what is the purpose of a sealer on the ad.promoter?
sealer acts as a primer...you could also use a primer aswell. But it's really only necessary if you need to fill in some imperfections.

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts

i sure have imperfections.....too bad sealer wont work on your life.... = ]

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

i think i might try this on the chrome crossbar in my colorado grill i want it black. but my bumbers im gonna try and buy a set of black zq8 bumbers or sport z85

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts

Yeah I was told they cannot PC plastic because it will melt in the oven. But the bumpers will be fine to PC.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts