Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
brewer15650

Project Name
How-To: Paint your rims using Duplicolor Wheel Paint

Project Description
Changing the color of your wheels using Duplicolor Wheel Paint

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado LS ZQ8
Year: 2004
Engine: 5cly
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
Duplicolor's Website
Duplicolor Wheel Paint
Duplicolor Prep Wipe's

Green Painters Scuff Pads
Duplicolor Prep Cloth
Cans of paint (3-4cans)
Blue Painters Tape (If tires are still mounted)

Project Time
2 1/2 hours prep time and 24 hrs dry time

Project Cost
$25.00

Step 1- Wash the rims really good to remove any tar or grease and then dry them.

Step 2- Use the green scuff pad and scuff everything including the center caps. Do not skimp out on scuffing the rims. This step is what helps bond the wheel paint to the rims so make sure you scuff everything you intend to paint.

Step 3- Wash the rims again and let them dry.

Step 4- Use the Duplicolor Prep Cloth and wipe down everything you intend to paint.

Step 5- While you’re waiting for the rims to dry from wiping them down with the prep cloth. Start Shaking the first can of Wheel Paint.

Step 6- After you shook up the first can you can spray a light dusting over all four rims and center caps. This coat does not have to be thick or cover the whole rim. You’re just trying to get some paint down and make sure your not going to have any fish eyes or blems.

Step 7- Wait 30-45 min then lay down the second coat.

Step 8- Repeat step 7 for the 3rd, 4th or 5th coats spraying the paint a little heavier on each coat. Your final coat should be a “wet coat”. A wet coat is where you apply the paint on as thick as you can with out causing any runs. Make sure you keep shaking the can while your spraying and also right before you start the every coat.

Step 9- Let the wheels dry for 24-48 hours before having the tires mounted back on.

***It would be better to paint your rims with the tires removed. But you can definitely do it with the tires still on you will just have to mask off the tires with painters tape so you don’t get any over spray on them. Do not try to paint your wheels while they are still on your truck unless you want over spray on everything.

Duplicolor makes a clear (Part# HWP103) that you can spray over top the wheel paint. It will most likely give you a gloss look if you use it. I chose not to use it so I could make any touch ups I wanted with out having to repaint the whole rim. ***

P

·
0 Posts
Re: How to: Paint your rims using Duplicolor Wheel Paint

Nice write up, rims look really good, was gonna give ya rep, but ur part of that group called, staff............:disgust:

·
Registered
24 Posts

Nice write up, rims look really good, was gonna give ya rep, but ur part of that group called, staff............:disgust:
You can still give him rep r-tard.

Nice writeup brew. :yup:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts

So how it the painted rims holding out so far. I would love a deeper grey on mine. Think it would look good with the green..

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I painted them right before last winter and they made it thru the winter with only 2-3 tiny chips. The paint is really tuff and if you dont clear them you can allways touch them up.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

i wish they had a color between the graphite and silver.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

awesome!! i just stopped by Autozone on the way home and picked up 2 cans!! great wrtie up!!

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Re: How-To: Paint your rims using Duplicolor Wheel Paint

***It would be better to paint your rims with the tires removed. But you can definitely do it with the tires still on you will just have to mask off the tires with painters tape so you don’t get any over spray on them. Do not try to paint your wheels while they are still on your truck unless you want over spray on everything.

Duplicolor makes a clear (Part# HWP103) that you can spray over top the wheel paint. It will most likely give you a gloss look if you use it. I chose not to use it so I could make any touch ups I wanted with out having to repaint the whole rim. ***
nope and I can attest to the pain in the ass it is to paint with tires still mounted. :lol:

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You can do it with the tire on but you then would want to tape the tire off to keep the over spray off them( very time consuming). If you remove the tires you will have to have them remounted and rebalanced. You wount need to have your truck realined.

·
The LED Dude
5,876 Posts

damn.. might end up just taping them than.. :shrug:
I have painted ATV tires while still on the rim and it worked out fine... One trick that helps alot is to put vaseline on the tire near the rim and paint away. After everything is dry then simply wash away the vaseline along with the overspray paint. Just make sure not to touch the rims with the vaseline as naturally the paint wont stick. I then clean the small line near the rim with a scotch bright and it works fine.

·
Sadistic Kustomz Wi
2,234 Posts

ok does any one know if this would work on chrome rims? i have a set of 20s that didnt make it to well over the past 3 winters but there still good rims and i dont have the money to get new ones. but i was thinking if i sand blasted them and then paint them that might work. but my ? is will the chrome come off with sand blasting or if i just get them roughed up enough will the paint stick?:shrug:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

ok does any one know if this would work on chrome rims? i have a set of 20s that didnt make it to well over the past 3 winters but there still good rims and i dont have the money to get new ones. but i was thinking if i sand blasted them and then paint them that might work. but my ? is will the chrome come off with sand blasting or if i just get them roughed up enough will the paint stick?:shrug:
if you just get them powder coated, it should cost no more than 400 dolla

·
Sadistic Kustomz Wi
2,234 Posts

yeah but i dont have any other rims to put on the truck while thats getting done its my daily driver. i was going to try and tackle all 4 one of these wkds.

·
Batman
5,649 Posts

ok, so I wanna redo this to fix a couple chips and such. Can I just use regular paint stripper to get the old paint off, or would that damage the factory finish under the paint? Or do I have to sand the old paint off?

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

ok, so I wanna redo this to fix a couple chips and such. Can I just use regular paint stripper to get the old paint off, or would that damage the factory finish under the paint? Or do I have to sand the old paint off?
More info. Does your wheels have duplicolor black on them allready? Did you clear them also?

·
Batman
5,649 Posts

I got them from Shawnboy already painted so not completly sure, I think they are rattle canned and cleared though :shrug:. I'll pm him to find out for sure.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

It would be cool if you could get them sandblasted or you can try paint stripper. But you need to determin if the paint that is on there, is on there good. IF it is you can sand out the chips and scuff the paint thats on there and then shoot the dulicolor on there. The dark gray sprays nice and covers really good. Its all in the prep work man....if you take the xtra time and prep them right people will think its powder coating. lol and when you tell them its rattle paint you will blow there mind.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts