Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
05RadoXtreme

Project Name
How-To Plastidip Your Wheels

Project Description
Steps on how to apply aerosol-based rubberized removable coating to your wheels-Plastidip

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Tools Needed
-Floor Jack
-4 Jack Stands
-¾” Socket or factory tire iron located in your vehicle - (If you have aftermarket or custom lug nuts, you might have to use the unique removal tool)
-Water/hose
-Index cards
-Towels
-Plastidip

Project Time
2 to 4 Hours

• This depends on how long you let them sit to dry.

Project Cost

Plastidip - $25 after tax

• $5-$7 per can depending where you get it.
  • I used one can per wheel.
Index Cards - $2
Total: $27

Procedure

First you want to start off by parking your vehicle in an area that will be out of the way since it will be up on jack stands for a few hours.

Step 1: Jack up vehicle so that the tires are off the ground.
Step 2: Place jack stands under vehicle frame, preferably one at each corner of the vehicle.
Step 3: Lower vehicle gently so that it securely sits on the jack stands.
Step 4: Using the ¾” socket, remove the lug nuts and set them aside.
  • If you have 18” “Xtreme” wheels like I have, the factory plastic lug nut cover can also be removed with the ¾” socket.
Step 5: Remove wheels

Step 6: Clean Wheels

• I washed mine with soap, water, and a towel making sure that no oils, grease, or other debris is on the surface of the wheels.
Step 7: Dry wheels

• I used a leaf blower to get all of the excess water off the surface, speeding up the process, wiping them down with a dry towel afterwards.
Step 8: Mask off tires using one of the methods that I have included below:
  • Index Cards- Using index cards, place the cards into the gap between the tire and the wheel, over-lapping the ends of the cards.
  • Masking Tape- Tape off the tires by inserting the edge of the tape into the gap between the tire and the wheel.
  • No Method- This can be done by skipping the masking step, and spraying the wheels like normal. Once it has dried, you can peel the over spray Plastidip off the tires. This is an easy process, I tried this about a year ago but months later I found myself still peeling small pieces of Plastidip off my tires, making it difficult to apply tire shine.
I chose the index card method because I had the cards laying around from last time and this method worked pretty well last time I did this.

Step 9: Starting with one can at a time, shake for a few minutes, properly mixing up the contents of the can.
Step 10: Apply a light base coat to the wheel.
  • This is not a coat that covers the surface, just a light base layer that gives the Plastidip something to hold onto.

Step 11: Start laying down layers of Plastidip, letting them dry for a few minutes in between coats.
  • I have noticed that Plastidip lays down better if you apply it heavier than you would spray paint.
  • The Plastidip will have an “Orange Peel” appearance to it, and as it dries the surface will smooth out as it cures.
  • Laying down multiple coats will increase the durability of the coating and ease of removal.

Step 12: After you are satisfied with the coats and finish, you want to let it dry.
  • While keeping an eye on the weather, I painted mine on the driveway, and then let them sit face up in the sun to dry and cure.
  • The earlier you start handling them and driving with them, the softer the Plastidip will be.

Step 13: Place wheels and tires back onto the vehicle.
Step 14: Secure wheels to vehicle using lug nuts.
Step 15: Jack up vehicle.
Step 16: Remove jack stands and any other objects from underneath vehicle.
Step 17: Lower vehicle to the ground and remove floor jack.
Step 18: Check lug nuts, ensuring they are tight. Add plastic lug nut covers if equipped.

End Results

Notes:
-When washing your truck or wheels within the first week of the application, be sure to use extra caution when cleaning. I have accidently put small nicks in the Plastidip with my fingernail, or even peeling the Plastidip if scrubbing too hard.

-I have noticed that when getting an alignment, the prongs that hold onto the wheels sometimes can put knicks in the lips of the wheels. It might be a good idea to get your truck aligned before Plasti Dipping your wheels.

-I learned a lot from watching some of the videos posted by DipYourCar on Youtube. They have tutorials on how to apply the Plastidip, clean it, and tips and tricks for colors and finishes. I would recommend watching some videos before starting this project.

DipYourCar Youtube Channel

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
I hope to do this SOON, so thanks for sharing! I am curious to see what the ZQ8 17's will look like on a black crew cab.

·
Members Technical Staff
2,498 Posts
Nice write-up -- thanks for sharing all the tips that you've picked up over time as well.

After reading this How-To, I actually am no longer intimidated by plasti-dipping (I've never researched it... but that's my point, there's a lot of info in here).

·
Who dat? Who dere?
333 Posts
Great write up! I had concerns about how well it would come on doing it on the rim but it looks great. This is happening when I put my drop on next month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts