Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
gfcanyon

Project Name
"jeep style" doors

Project Description
this how-to will tell you how to make your door hinges ready for quick door removal and replacement.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2007
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: Yes

Tools Needed
various sockets and wrenches, 10-14mm
small flat head screw driver

Project Time
1-1.5 hours (faster with help)

Project Cost
Effort
if you break a door switch, or lose the parts the part number for the entire part is SIDS1544. i found one here. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQGMCQQCanyonQQStandardQQDoor_Jamb_SwitchQQ20042010QQSIDS1544.html

CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS. check for both mirror and door laws in your area. where i live, you technically need two rear facing mirrors, the law says nothing about needing "doors" therefore this is still legal and accepted for me. before you get into doing this, make sure you're not going to get in trouble (not that you should, almost everyone with a wrangler drives around all day long without doors)
here's a link for all 50 states "mirror laws"

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Mirror_Laws_by_State_(U.S.)

i find that it is easiest to take off and put the doors back on with the windows down, also this protects your glass, so if you have power windows, roll your windows down before you get started.

start by opening your door and removing the boot around your wiring, and then using your fingers push on the tab at the top of the plug holster, and pull it out at the same time, then using your fingers or a small flat head screw driver, unplug all wires and remove the outer casing

next, using a 10mm, remove the door stopper,

then remove the door and hinge entirely from the truck using a 12mm wrench (front hinges are easiest to get to from behind the front fenders, i'm showing the rear hinges)

once the doors are off the truck, remove the hinge from the door using a 10mm deep socket. once the hinges are off the door, remove the single bolt at the top of the hinge holding the pins in place.

replace the body side of the now split hinge as accurately as possible (you should be able to clearly see where the paint is and is not) snug up one bolt and make sure it's where you want it, then put the other in and tighten them down. repeat for the bottom, as well as the door side. grease the pin buckets lightly to prevent them from rusting, and pick the door up, line up the hinges and set them into place. with the door on, pull the wiring out and plug in the two connectors, place them inside the cab, and then push the boot into the hole re-sealing the wiring and make sure (which it should) the door lines back up, as well as works properly.

with the doors off, obviously the truck is going to think that the doors are open. simply go around to all four doors and remove the rubber from all doors sensors and you'll see this

with a small screw driver, pop these off and remove the spring from the socket.

replace only the driver door sensor without the spring and push it in, when you get out and shut off the truck, simply pull out the tab and it will be like the door is opening, shutting off all interior lights as well as the radio.

REMEMBER: push all wiring and plugs back into the access holes while you have your doors off to ensure that you do not rip any plugs off or cut any wires.

finished product

personally wheeling is a lot easier as you can see all of what's around you, and who doesn't like the summer breeze without doors?

***you will have no speakers once you remove your doors, to compensate i simply wired in two 6.5's in boxes that are placed under my rear seats and are now permanent.

RE-INSTALLING DOORS
to put the doors back on, and have them fully functional start by pulling the wiring out of the access hole and have it in an easy place to be able to plug back in all plugs available. place the doors back in the hinges, once the doors are re-mounted, have the door open all the way and plug back in your wires.

push the entire plug back into the access hole so that the set of plugs is in the cab.

finally push the rubber boot into the access hole entirely and then pull it out a little bit to snug it up and prevent leaking

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Ive taken off one door before and man it was a bitch.

Cant imagine 4 :lol:

That fat plig in boot just did NOT want to go back on.

Hats off to ya.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you do this taking the off is cake work.

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
well shit, I can't do this if I even wanted to. I tapped through that boot to run wires for the Hellas. :lol: Actually I think if someone could design a cool half door or something, it would be cool.

Good write-up though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm waiting on funds but I plan to build tube doors for mine so I'll add a write up for that when it's done

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When i had to replace my door i wanted to keep it like this so bad. Now that its summertime i might go ahead and try it driving down the backroads. I just wish i could keep my mirrors on

Hows the dust on dirt roads? Does it get in a little?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dirt road driving isn't awful, really it depends on your tires.

i'm not sure, i've never really looked into it on the half doors, but i would imagine there is a way, if not the same way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
dirt road driving isn't awful, really it depends on your tires.

i'm not sure, i've never really looked into it on the half doors, but i would imagine there is a way, if not the same way.
everything is possible with a torch welder and hammer haha

·
CHEEZEDOODLE
29,666 Posts
Wojo has a cage that works as tube doors if i remember right.

Yall be carefull doing this shit. Any vehicle where the doors aren't ment to come off it's illegal to do it. Same with the windshield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts