Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres a link for this but i need a diagram or good photos for all the 9 bolt locations for the air intake manifold. I can feel one of the two i cant get to but the other one, i have no idea where it is. ANY help WITH pics or videos would be greatly appreciated!! I need to get my truck running again ASAP!!

2005 Colorado
5cyl 3.5L
3 in Lift kit

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Its really all about having a great selection of 1/4" extensions including wobblies, adequate light, and a small mirror. A little luck and 10 minutes should have the manifold off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its really all about having a great selection of 1/4" extensions including wobblies, adequate light, and a small mirror. A little luck and 10 minutes should have the manifold off.
I worked for almost 4 hours yesterday and couldnt find the last two i need to get to. So its not even having the right tools, I have no clue where the last two are. for all these people saying this is "easy and only takes a few minutes" could of been nice if yall took pics or a video to show how you did it, and where the location of all the bolts are.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Google search provided me with dozens of pics and videos. Settle down, we'll get you through this. Here's a pic of the 9 bolt locations:
http://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/25446821-qvopxsajws1llat54pbrnoz3-5-0.jpg
Here's a video of a removed intake manifold showing the bolt locations.
Knowing how the manifold attaches on all vehicles helps. You can get an idea from looking at the exhaust manifold. The bolts are basically on each side of the openings in the head. I would guess that the two bolts your having problems finding are the two bolts all the way at the back closest to the firewall. The last two bolts are one directly over the other one. You might not be able to see them. I would recommend putting a couple of bolts that you've already taken out back in finger tight so the most difficult ones aren't both incredibly hard to get too, but are also supporting the weight of the entire manifold. Find some easy ones to get to and put the bolts back in. When you loosen the difficult ones a little, you can probably get them out much easier.
Hope this helps!
Google is your best friend to learn from others!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Google search provided me with dozens of pics and videos. Settle down, we'll get you through this. Here's a pic of the 9 bolt locations:
http://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/25446821-qvopxsajws1llat54pbrnoz3-5-0.jpg
Here's a video of a removed intake manifold showing the bolt locations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrGJLeNMWoc
Knowing how the manifold attaches on all vehicles helps. You can get an idea from looking at the exhaust manifold. The bolts are basically on each side of the openings in the head. I would guess that the two bolts your having problems finding are the two bolts all the way at the back closest to the firewall. The last two bolts are one directly over the other one. You might not be able to see them. I would recommend putting a couple of bolts that you've already taken out back in finger tight so the most difficult ones aren't both incredibly hard to get too, but are also supporting the weight of the entire manifold. Find some easy ones to get to and put the bolts back in. When you loosen the difficult ones a little, you can probably get them out much easier.
Hope this helps!
Google is your best friend to learn from others!
I found that video too, since its the only video out there. but the bolts i cant find are number 6&7 in that video..theyre hidden by a black metal plate that has a bunch of cables attached to it, ive pulled it back a little, but still cant get to bolt 6 and cant even find bolt 7. And I have all the extensions and universal joints and sockets you can think to need for this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found an old photo that shows bolt locations perfectly from the back side. I'm not sure that its attached though. Thank You original poster!
View attachment 303475
The picture was attached and ive seen that picture, but that doesnt help me really. I need to see them from the front. And if that black metal plate wasnt there, I wouldnt have an issue at all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't that black plate held onto the intake manifold by two bolts?
It was, but I want it completely out of the way and i have no idea where else its mounted too. itd be nice if i could get it out of the way completely. Id have no issue if that dang plate wasnt there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just curious, why are you removing the intake manifold?
to replace Cylinder 1 fuel injector, also bolt number 8 snapped when I went to loosen it so i have to get the intake off now no matter what. so its do it or the truck is junk to me. I don't have the $ to take it in and have someone else do it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I pulled mine 3 times when doing the head job. (I kept forgetting crap....don't ask..lol) 1st, what Russ said. 1/4 inch w/ extensions and swivels. 2nd, no matter what, keep your butt in front of the vehicle. I kept drifting toward the driver side and the battery bracket kept getting in the way. Those bastard back bolts were easiest to remove going over the top of the manifold. I never 'saw' any of the back bolts. Everything was done by feel by running my arm along the side of the engine. Not sure this helps. I just know when I quit trying to 'see' / 'work from the side', things went a lot easier. The hardest bolt for me was that single between cylinder 4 & 5. FWIW

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I could see them see them all from inside the wheel well once the liner was removed, the alternator was unbolted and that black plate was removed. There's 3 bolts on the black plate, all 10mm heads. Just cut and pry the wiring harnesses from the plate and work it up and forward to remove it. I had a u-joint and a deep socket on 2 6" extensions to reach the bolts. The bolts don't come all the way out, they stay with the manifold.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The guy that started this thread in November of 2018 has probably figured it out by now.
Sorry, I find myself providing helpful hints to old posts too sometimes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The guy that started this thread in November of 2018 has probably figured it out by now.
Sorry, I find myself providing helpful hints to old posts too sometimes!
As hard as it seems, he may still be there trying to get that last bolt... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts