Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
Crimson.Colorado

Project Name
How-to Remove Door Moldings

Project Description
Cleaning up the over all appearance of your truck

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet/GMC
Model: Colorado/Canyon
Year: Any
Engine: Any
Power windows: Any
Sun Roof: Any

Tool Needed
Putty Knife
Painters Tape
WD40
Terry Towel or MicroFiber towel
Soap
Wax

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
Effort

1. Tape the putty knife with 2-3 layers of painters tape so you don’t scratch the paint when you slide it behind the molding. Gently slide into the corner but don’t force it too much it will go with a little pressure. Once its behind pull towards you to pry it off a little

2. Begin at top and pry to remove from door. once top is loose do the same for the bottom...don’t be scared it wont hurt the truck

3. These pieces may stay behind these can also be pulled but are a bit tougher...just grab and pull as you twist gently back and forth.

4. For the larger amounts of residue that is left over you can use your thumb to remove it by rollin the glue, but it will suck! lol you can use the putty knife with tape to push the glue as well...it will help a bit. there is also a tool you can buy from an auto store called a "stripe eliminator" for about $25 I heard that it saves allot of time and your thumbs...lol

5. If you don’t get the tool spray a good coat of WD40 on the residue and let sit for about 3 or so minutes. then lightly wash the area with soap and water and scrub the residue off with a terry cloth or microfiber towel (wash before you scrub so that you don’t scrub dirt into your paint)...the WD40 loosens the glue but doesn’t remove it all the way so will have to use a little elbow grease.. SHOW THAT TRUCK SOME LOVE BABY!!! be prepared to spend a little extra time on this step to get all residue off. don’t get upset if it doesn’t come off easy it isn’t meant too just grab a corner of the rag or towel and use one finger to scrub off the glue

6. Wash it very well and dry then let air dry to make sure all water is off. after washing be sure to apply a nice good coat of wax in that area. might be a good time to wash and wax the whole thing if you haven’t done so in a bit.

This will be your final turnout.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is this the same for side molding on a 2011?

My side molding looks different. I'm afraid it might have clips or holes behind it....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya I'd be willing to sell it granted it comes off ok.
let me know how it goes.:th_woot:[/QUOTE]

Will do, one of these weekends I'm going to debadge it and take that stuff off. I'm pretty sure it wont be too hard to get it off. Going to try it with a heat gun and fish line.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Awesome thread, I have to remove mine, they look sooo ugly!
Instead of using a putty knife, use some heavy fishing line. 25lb. test should work just fine. You can also peel the 3m tape fairly easily without leaving residue (kind of like the 3m picture hanging things that you stretch to remove). I have a video of me doing my truck I'll see if I can upload in a minute.

Video uploaded. As you'll see, this is much easier than rolling it off with your thumb, and it barely leaves anything behind.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice how-to, but here in "breezy-point" Nebraska...these moldings are a must. If not on vehicle, be prepared for 2-3 door dings a year (minimum). Mine have all kinds of war wounds and...I part far out in the lots. People just don't (1) seem to care about vehicles or (2) are too weak to hang onto their doors in the wind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Planning to have my truck detailed in March. This time I want to remove the moldings and the fenders before I take it in. I'm feeling slightly uneasy with the color. Will there be any noticeable color difference from where the moldings/fenders was to the rest of the truck?
:355group:
(Never had a garage, so it stayed outdoors since the day I drove it from the dealership 9 years ago.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
So I want to remove the side molding but when I debated my tail gate the 3m tape just ripped the paint off as well. I used fishing line, soap and water with elbow grease. I don't know if it was because my truck was apparently totalled and to begin with the tailgate didn't match the truck. And I'm starting to get paint peeling off the bottoms of my doors. So I'm kind of scared to take them off. Any suggestions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts