Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
45K views 47 replies 29 participants last post by  Sanek75 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
blurred

Project Name
How To: Remove Instrument Cluster

Project Description
You will need this to swap out gauge overlays, change needles, paint trim or any mod to the cluster itself.

Skill Level
Easy

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool Needed
1 screw driver with replacement bits - 1 Torx (T10) bit and one Socket (7mm) bit -OR- 1 Torx Screwdriver and a Socket with a long extension (6"+)

Project Time
10 - 20 minutes

Project Cost
Free

Step 1: Start by removing the cluster surround. This piece is held onto the dash by ~4 metal clips on the back so it should pop off with a small amount of force.

Step 2: Once it is off, you will see the four screws holding the cluster to the dash.
There are two on the bottom as seen here:

Step 3: And two on the top corners, one of which is pictured here:

Step 4: Once those screws are removed, carefully slide the console out of the dash. There is a single wire that is plugged into the back. Remove that by pushing down on the top portion to release the clasp, then pull the "handle" to the left. This will pry the plug out of the housing, enabling you to remove it completely.

Step 5: Once the cluster is out, you can remove the clear plastic cover. There are seven (7) clips that hold it to the plastic surround for the cluster. Three across the top, two on each side, and two on the bottom seen here:

Step 6: To remove the plastic surround from the cluster itself, flip the cluster over and look for the five (5) torx screws on the back that bolt the two pieces together. There is one on the top center, two on the top corners, and two on the bottom seen here:

Once the screws are out, you can pull the plastic surround off and do what you want.

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: How-To: Remove Cluster

FAIL! go get more.
Eh, lazy. At some point I will :lol:
How? dropped em back in the dash while re-installing? Next time use either a magnetic tipped screw driver or even a piece of gum to hold em on the screwdriver.
I know, I was in a rush and just kinda used what was easy to find at the time. Yeah, once they fall back there you're kinda fucked unless they found their way to the ground haha

#18 ·
thanks man! when I bought my cally, there was some smugges or something on the inside of the window. I gotta get that stuff its hard to see the numbers. eventually I am getting a custom cluster board but I like messing around anyways.

good right up I'll let you know how its turns out, or how many screws I lost....

#25 ·
I have looked but cannot find a "How To" for changing the light color in the instrument cluster. I have found “How To” to remove the cluster but nothing showing how to open it and change the light color. I am sure I just have not typed in the correct inquiry. If someone could point me in the right direction it would sure help.

#33 · (Edited)
Instrument Panel Cluster Trim Plate Bezel Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. If equipped, tilt the steering wheel to the full down position.
  2. If equipped, with the steering column mounted shift lever, block the wheels and position the shift lever in FIRST gear.

3. Carefully release the clips retaining the bezel to the instrument panel (I/P).
  4. Remove the bezel from the I/P.

Installation Procedure

1. Position the bezel to the I/P.

2. Install the bezel, ensuring the retaining clips are fully seated.
  3. If equipped with tilt steering, return the steering wheel to a neutral position.

#34 · (Edited)
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the instrument panel cluster (IPC) bezel. Refer to Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster.

2. Remove the screws retaining the IPC to the instrument panel (I/P).

3. Partially remove the IPC to reveal the electrical connector (2).
  4. Notice the position of the connector position assurance (CPA) arm (1).

5. Move the CPA arm away from the electrical harness.
  6. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  7. Remove the IPC from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Position the IPC to the I/P.

2. Ensure the CPA arm is in the open position. Connect the electrical connector to the IPC.

3. To lock the connector (2), move the CPA arm (1) toward the electrical harness.

4. Install the IPC to the I/P.
  5. Install the screws retaining the IPC to the I/P.
    Tighten: Tighten the screws to 2.5 N.m (22 lb in).
  6. Install the IPC bezel. Refer to Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster.

#35 · (Edited)
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Lens Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the instrument panel cluster (IPC) bezel. Refer to Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster.
  2. Remove the IPC. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement

3. Remove the T10 torx screws retaining the IPC lens.

4. Remove the lens from the IPC.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the lens to the IPC.

2. Install the screws to the IPC lens.

Tighten: Tighten the screws to 1.5 N.m (14 lb in).
  3. Install the IPC. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement.
  4. Install the IPC bezel. Refer to Bezel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.