Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh. i have been DREADING to make this thread but I hope it helps. Long story short, I live in CT and my truck has seen one too many New England winters 馃槖. Come to find out my rear spring perch completely failed and it ended up breaking off the frame and it wedged itself within the frame (see pictures). anyway so by teardown i find MORE rust/rot and its pretty bad behind the fuel tank sooo yea. Well, I need a vehicle to get me through winter so I am going to make my truck "somewhat" road worthy again and I am taking you all along for the ride 馃榿.
Also, I don't want to hear anyone say i should have undercoated the truck . The truck was undercoated but the crappy Isuzu/GM frame design is so awful, that the frame actually rotted from the inside out.

Premium Member
That鈥檚 pretty rough.

I鈥檇 recommend finding a junkyard truck and doing a frame swap.

If your frame rotted through at the leaf spring hanger you鈥榣l likely experience similar problems elsewhere soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
That鈥檚 pretty rough.

I鈥檇 recommend finding a junkyard truck and doing a frame swap.

If your frame rotted through at the leaf spring hanger you鈥榣l likely experience similar problems elsewhere soon.
im looking for a new truck soon, fixing it is only going to last a year or so and then it will be time to part this truck out. I've looked for junkyard trucks but most of them were just as bad if not worse than mine.

Registered
I know that you want to look for a new truck but you may want to look into the condition of the lock ring on top of the gas tank since you have the bed off . You never know how the best plans can fall apart and you may have to hold onto that truck longer . Imagine how pissed you would be if the fuel pump fails or you get that EVAP leak because the lock ring rusted through and you now have the bed on . :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I know that you want to look for a new truck but you may want to look into the condition of the lock ring on top of the gas tank since you have the bed off . You never know how the best plans can fall apart and you may have to hold onto that truck longer . Imagine how pissed you would be if the fuel pump fails or you get that EVAP leak because the lock ring rusted through and you now have the bed on . :(
Yea I hear ya. I was honestly debating on it but im worried because the lock ring is SUPER rusty. Might have to just trust my gut and go with it.

Registered
I live in upstate N.Y. our vehicles are assaulted with road brine continuously all year long(after true winter ends the brine residue stays behind within the frame and within any depressions and is reactivated whenever it gets wet from rain etc). A buddy just recently removed his bed(rusted out) and the fuel tanks lock ring was highly questionable as far as any future life. A new fuel tank just wasnt in his budget so we gently removed all the real flakey rust, blew the dust etc off and coated the entire assembly in JB Weld with several coats building up enough JB Weld to essentially encapsulate and reinforce the ring and tank. So far 6 months later it is going very well!

Registered
Yea I hear ya. I was honestly debating on it but im worried because the lock ring is SUPER rusty. Might have to just trust my gut and go with it.
Curious to know how you lifted the bed off , mechanical power or man power ? If man power how many people were needed as I may be in need of removing my truck bed in the near future . :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I live in upstate N.Y. our vehicles are assaulted with road brine continuously all year long(after true winter ends the brine residue stays behind within the frame and within any depressions and is reactivated whenever it gets wet from rain etc). A buddy just recently removed his bed(rusted out) and the fuel tanks lock ring was highly questionable as far as any future life. A new fuel tank just wasnt in his budget so we gently removed all the real flakey rust, blew the dust etc off and coated the entire assembly in JB Weld with several coats building up enough JB Weld to essentially encapsulate and reinforce the ring and tank. So far 6 months later it is going very well!
Going to be checking out the tank later this week. Hopefully going to be good but if I remember i'll get some pictures to show you guys how crusty it is lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Curious to know how you lifted the bed off , mechanical power or man power ? If man power how many people were needed as I may be in need of removing my truck bed in the near future . :unsure:
Bed is very lightweight and can be easily removed with 2 people. I only used the tractor because my grandfather has a bad back and i didnt want him lifting anything

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Ive got a single cab 06 Colorado 4x4 torsion bar frame View attachment 341442 for sale for $250 in SC. Engine, trans and transfer case is sold
Thanks for the offer! But I just finished patching up my truck. Only other reason I didn't get a parts truck was because I may be upgrading to a 700 within the next year or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Got any photos?
I'll post the ones I have currently, Stupid phone take photos and turns them into HEIC files instead of a jpeg so I have been slowly converting them all to post 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #16

Some progress pictures, I'll get some more later on because these are already a week old lol. And yes don't worry, the welds are cleaned up very nice

Premium Member
Looks good to me. Much better than having your frame snap in two!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
WOW , you sure have been busy . Nice work and nice work area . What type of weld did you use , stick or flux core ?
Used flux Just because of how easy it was to work with. And yes trying to get this truck out of my grandfathers garage! Haha I got land cruiser to work on!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts