Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
07_Zq8

Project Name
How To Replace Front Shock Absorber(s) 2WD

Project Description
This how-to will show you what to do if you need to replace your front shock absorbers on a 2wd truck

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon zq8
Year: 2007
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
13/16 inch Socket and Wrench for removal of bottom Shock Bolt
15mm wrench for removal of spring assembly upper mount & upper shock nut
Vice Grips or 1/4" wrench for holding sway bar link bolts
Coil Spring Clamps, or Spring Tamer
Allen Wrenches for holding upper shock shaft in place while removing nut

Project Time
45min-1hr per side depending on available tools

Project Cost
price of replacement strut/shock, ~65$cost @dealership

Start off by jacking up the front of the vehicle. It is best to have both front tires off the ground so that your sway bar link is not fighting you from on side being higher than the other. I was only replacing my driver side shock, mainly because it was leaking at 40xxx miles and 4 yrs old.

Next remove the wheel(s) to access inner fender area. Remove the REUSABLE pop clips that hold the inner fender to the body. Remove inner fender plastic.

Next Remove the large bolt at the bottom of the shock/spring assembly, use a little caution as there may be a small amount of tension on it, but nothing to worry about.

You then need to remove one or both of the sway bar link nuts to disconnect the sway bay from the lower control arm. I am not sure if this step is ultimately necessary because there may be enough room to move the control arms around since both wheels are jacked up off the ground. IF not, use vice grips or suitable to hold link stud(s) and use 15mm wrench to remove.

You now need to remove the 3 outer 15mm nuts that hold the top part of the assembly to the spring pocket. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER NUT, AS THIS HOLDS THE TENSION OF THE ENTIRE COIL SPRING, it wil be removed after the spring has been compressed.

Once the nuts are removed, you should be able to pull the spring assembly down and towards the rear of the truck and should come out without too much hassle. Now you need to use your spring compressors or strut tamer as I did to compress the spring enough to allow the bottom of the shock to become loosened.

Once Compressed, you can then remove the 15mm nut on the top of the shock stud. Once removed the shock should just fall right out.

Make sure you replace the bushings before installing new shock back into the assembly.
I took my finished spring assembly to the solvent washer to remove old oil and dirt, then finished cleaning it by hosing it down with hot water. you can use WD40 or other cleaner and rags to the clean the spring as well. Avoid chipping or knicking the spring's coating to prevent rust from happening.

Here is a picture of the spring pocket with no assembly in it:

Once you've cleaned it up, install in reverse order and also install inner fender with original pop clips. Put wheel(s) on and torque to 103lb-ft(2wd models). Now go hit some bumps and break in the new shock(s)!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice write up... just did this early last week. Do you need to get an alignment after you do this? Just a little nervous as this is the first time I did this.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Nice write up!

If its a straight forward one for one swap, an alignment not really needed for a shock/strut. If it was a ball joint, tie rod or some other suspension/steering item, then yes.

BTW, both of my factory front shocks/struts started leaking before I hit 30k

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks, it had just a one for one replacement OEM hight ranchos, struts & shocks. Stiffened up my truck nicely. Mine were pretty shot @39k. Then again the roads around here are notorious for suspension damage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 04 zq8. So are the zq8 shocks the same as the reg. shocks? My truck just turned 100k and it has been bouncing like uncle Bucks car for the last 20K miles. LOL And I don't need to realign that's a plus. Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
BTW, both of my factory front shocks/struts started leaking before I hit 30k
Leaking as in a fluid? Is that what to keep an eye out for to know when to change them? I have 40K miles on my truck and the suspension seems to be in great shape but I would like to know what to keep an eye out for beyond the obvious bad ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome write up, just did mine the other day because I was installing lowering springs. Very straight forward after reading this. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good write up. I have the same question as a previous post here, does anyone know if the ZQ8 front shock is the same part # as a regular 2WD shock? After market parts houses around here have been telling me regular 2WD shocks are applicable as the ZQ8 suspension is only different in terms of spring rate. Of course the GM dealer wants to "special order" me some ZQ8 shocks, but they are very pricey. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just finished doing this to my truck. Just some tips for the guys with high mileage and older vehicles. The middle nut that holds the shock in was pretty rotten. Thus not accepting the Allen wrench so it had to be cut off with a grinder. And the bottom perch for the spring had to be taken off with a hammer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi,
i have a 2005 z85 ls Colorado crew cab. i bought a set of rancho 5300's shocks for the front. i have springs on the front unlike the z71's which have torsion bars.
anyway i couldn't install them so took it to a shop and was told that they're the wrong ones and i need struts. is this true? thanks, Don

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need struts with the coil spring front end.

The RS5770 is a strut.

1Gtn_cJiACmbPO6p9thAm0eYcHKwbazpKE_Gv6ykavIY

Rancho Shocks
http://www.gorancho.com/assets/catalog/2012catalog_pdf/2012-13_Rancho_shocks.pdf

Footnotes
http://www.gorancho.com/assets/catalog/2012catalog_pdf/2012-13_Rancho_footnotes.pdf
Thanks! I did install the RS5301's in the rear - is it much of a difference from the RS5299 which is what should be installed?
I'll order the RS5770's and take it to a shop.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just replaced my shocks yesterday. I order new springs from Rockauto and used the Rancho rs5770. The springs Rockauto sent me ended up being smaller diameter and not as long as the stock springs. Make sure you check that before you install the spring back into the strut.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ready to install front shocks on my 2005, 2wd with springs. A friend of mine got me these at cost, which is cool, but I am thinking these are the 4WD version. Am I correct? I thought it should have the spring perch on it. Admittedly, I am not very mechanically inclined.

Thanks

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts