Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
Canyon08Z71

Project Name
Dayco drive belt system upgrade

Project Description
Replacing the OEM drive belt tensioner with upgraded hardware

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2006, 2008
Engine: 3.5L, 3.7L
Power windows: Yes, Yes
Sun Roof: No, Yes
Electric Fan: Yes, Yes

Tools Needed
3/8" Breaker Bar (1-2')
3/8" Rachet Set
Elbow grease

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
$50ish plus Effort

Parts
Dayco Part # 89269, Automatic Belt Tensioner.

Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement (see below).
2. Inspect the drive belt. Change the drive belt as necessary.
3. Using a wrench loosen and remove the drive belt tensioner bolt.
4. Remove the drive belt tensioner.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the drive belt tensioner.
2. Install the drive belt tensioner bolt. Tighten the bolt to 50 N.m (37 lb ft).
3. Install the drive belt Drive Belt Replacement

Drive Belt Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Install a 3/8 inch breaker bar into the drive belt tensioner (7) and rotate the tensioner (7) clockwise, enough to relieve the tension on the drive belt (1).
2. Slide the drive belt (1) from the water pump pulley (2).
3. Allow the drive belt tensioner (7) to return to the relaxed position.
4. Remove the drive belt (1) from the remaining pulleys.

Installation Procedure

1. Route the drive belt (1) over all the pulleys, excluding the water pump pulley (2).
2. Install the 3/8 inch breaker bar on the drive belt tensioner (7) and rotate the tensioner (7) clockwise.
3. Route the drive belt (1) over the top of the water pump pulley (2).
4. Slowly release the tension to the drive belt tensioner (7). Important: Ensure the drive belt is properly aligned and seated into the grooves of the drive pulleys.
5. Inspect for proper installation of the drive belt (1) on the pulleys.

Dayco Trouble Shooting Video: Click Here!

Before:
The OEM Automatic Belt Tensioner at 22K miles. The video demonstrates the wobble in the tensioner.

After:
Dayco Automatic Belt tensioner installed, No Wobble or Audible sounds.
http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/...9 Tensioner/?action=view&current=P1010018.flv

New Dayco Automatic Belt Tensioner:

Installation Instructions:

OLD OEM Automatic Belt Tensioner:

Comparison: Dayco - OEM

Dayco Auromatic Belt Tensioner Install:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: HOW TO: Upgrade OEM Belt Tensioner

Great write up...i think i can see this in the future.

·
Bagged Bomber
10,954 Posts

whats the need to do this? Was yours bad?

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts

Nice job. :high5: This Dayco tensioner is readily available at Advance Autoparts.

·
Its too hot in Texas!
6,472 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Re: How To: Upgrade OEM Belt Tensioner

what benefits does this give? just a good how-to if ours needs to be replaced or?

either way nice write up!

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks for the positive comments. James and I had problems with our OEM tensioners and we knew this information will help others that may run into problems with the drive belt system. The Dayco tensioner is an upgrade, a better design and it even keeps the proper tension on the drive belt. A better choice in our opinion than replacing with another OEM tensioner. :thumbup:

whats the need to do this? Was yours bad?
Nice job. :high5: This Dayco tensioner is readily available at Advance Autoparts.
X2 :shrug:
what benefits does this give? just a good how-to if ours needs to be replaced or?

either way nice write up!

·
Its too hot in Texas!
6,472 Posts

oh ok i see now!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
196 Posts

They say you are suppose to replace these whenever you change your belt so its prolly not a bad idea...just showing some love and care for your truck haha

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

They say you are suppose to replace these whenever you change your belt so its prolly not a bad idea...just showing some love and care for your truck haha
To expand further, I can use the NEC chapter trux as a cross reference... Maybe 20-30% have this problem and another 40% will eventually have it. IMO, The spring in the OEM unit is weak and underpowered for the fight. The housing tolerances are defective on the OEM unit, the aftermarket cures this with a redesign.

On James 2006 3.5L, we only replaced the tensioner. He had a recently installed drive belt, so the belt got reused... He had noises on cold start up and a wobble in the tensioner. The new Dayco unit solved those issues.

On my 2008 3.7L, we replaced the belt and tensioner just because I wanted a spare belt (could have just reused my OEM belt) on hand... I had a nasty wobble/screech that buzzed into my truck from my OEM tensioner... The Dayco unit solved all my issues.

Both needed to be replaced to return the vehicles to 100%+ shape... Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

^ take it i'm prob in that "other 40%" category haha. def good stuff to know next time the belt needs to be changed. i had the exact issue you mention around 35k...it was the last thing i got taken care of before the warranty ran out lol. wonder if they tossed a new oem tensioner in there when they replaced the belt...in which case another 15k miles i'll be due again for both haha

1 - 20 of 153 Posts