Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation How To presented by
Putter

Project Name
How-to Run factory fog lights when headlights are on High Beam
**Perfect for use with dual high/low conversion**

Project Description
This will keep your factory installed fog lamps on when you run high beam (with or without dual high/low conversion)

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: GMC
Model: Canyon
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Power Locks: Yes
Factory Fogs: Yes

Tools Needed
Small gauge wire
Soldering Iron
Solder
Wire strippers
Dremel cut-off wheel (or wire snips)

Project Time
1/2 hour or less

Project Cost
Nearly zero

Mad Props To
Clint - aka CaptainRab's dad

This How-To has been re-written. The first draft was written for trucks that use low beam DRLs only because I was unaware that there should be seperate instructions for each DRL type. One of the first members who attempted this tried it on a truck that used park light DRLs and was quick to find out that it was a flawed How-To and may have damaged his BCM. Because of this error, the original How-To was removed by me, Putter. This version has been sent to another valued member to look over. After comparing it to several schematics, we agreed that with seperate instructions, we could include both DRL types. Thanks again to Clint R. (CaptainRab's dad)

***UPDATE***(again)...It has been reported from some members who have turn-signal DRLs that after attempting this mod, they got a CEL (check engine light) that would remain lit up to 30 seconds after turning off the ignition. Putting a stock relay back in the FOG location will correct this issue, but also un-mods your fogs.
For those with low-beam DRLs, this mod seems to have no adverse effects on your vehicle.

This seems to have been a burning question on the minds of several members, including mine ever since reading (and doing) the dual high/low headlight conversion. This can be done with minimal time and effort.

S T O P
READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION VERY CAREFULLY...SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE YOU BEGIN
**FAILURE TO READ THIS MAY RESULT IN DAMAGE TO YOUR BODY CONTROL MODULE**​

If you are uncertain about any part of this mod....STOP. Do not attempt it.​

If you have ANY questions what-so-ever about this, please shoot me a PM. I will be happy to anwser any question you have. It's better to ask vs blowing up something under your hood.

BEFORE WE BEGIN - Please verify which setup you need.

1) Does your truck use Low Beam headlights for Daytime Running Lights? Then you need the instructions marked as LowBeam Install.
or
2) Does your truck user amber Park Lights for Daytime Running Lights? Then you need the instructions marked as ParkLight Install

Many of the steps are the same for either setup, but the there are some differences that you need to be very aware of. These differences will be noted as we go.

Step 1: Remove the cover to expose your relays

***IMPORTANT NOTE***
Does your truck still have OEM relays? If so, take note that these relays will work if installed backwards, so follow these instructions to the letter.
IF YOU HAVE AFTERMARKET PART-STORE RELAYS:
It has been confirmed that some aftermarket (partshouse) relays will NOT work if reversed.
If you have non-OEM relays, you have a few options here. You can replace them with OEM relays, or swap locations in your panel so that you have OEM relays in the two locations that apply to this install.
If neither of these options are possible, then please pay close attention as you remove each relay to see which pins are towards the rear, and which are towards the front (WRITE IT DOWN...you WILL forget later)
ALSO, you can reach out to me if your relay pin locations don't match the instructions. I can tell you exactly what to do and it will not take any additional time or work. You just need to be aware of the relay positioning.

***For you 2009-up guys:
It has been reported that although the relay positions are the same for all years, in 2009-up, the relay number printed on the cover has been changed to 8866. This will not effect the mod, but just wanted you to be aware of this minor change. (Thanks Jim)

Notice the three relays we need to locate - PRK/LAMP HDLP FOG/LAMP

I will mark these as "A", "B" and "C"

This mod is as simple as installing a jumper wire between two relays.
Here is how your jumper wire should look, depending on your DRL setup:

Step 2-For LOWBEAM: (For LOWBEAM INSTALL only) If you use Low Beams for DRLs, remove relays A and C only (PRK/LAMP and FOG/LAMP relays)

Step 2-For PARKLIGHT: (For PARKLIGHT INSTALL only) If you use amber Park Lights for DRLs, remove relays B and C only (HDLP and FOG/LAMP relays)

Step 3: (applies to both DRL types) Flip one relay over and locate the pin numbers

Step 4: (applies to both DRL types) On one of the relays, carefully cut off Pin # 85. BE SURE to cut this off flush (or even recessed). Make sure that there is ZERO chance that the pin can make contact with the plug-in. If this happens, it will very likely cause damage to your BCM. As long as it is flush, you will be fine. I cut mine off with a Dremel tool.

Step 5: (applies to both DRL types) Carefully remove the cover of the modified relay. It should look like this.

Step 6: (applies to both DRL Types) Just above the Pin #85 location, there should be a metal tab with a small hole in it. This is the remainder of Pin #85. This is where we will solder one end of our jumper wire.
**Solder gently. Too much heat for too long may damage the relay (or de-solder other connections within the relay)

Step 7: (applies to both DRL Types) After you are happy with your solder job, you can re-install the plastic relay cover. You will need to cut out one corner to allow the wire to exit. A box knife, snips, hot solder gun, or any tool of your choosing may be used to remove the plastic material.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** You may want to seal the hole with tape or a small dab of silicone in order to eliminate moisture from getting into the relay causing oxidation and premature failure

Step 8: (applies to both DRL Types) Place relay (pictured above) in it's original position in the panel (DO NOT PLUG IT IN). Determine how long your jumper wire needs to be in order to reach the other relay. Cut any excess off (not too short). You just don't want a lot of slack cluttering up your relay panel.

Step 9-For LOWBEAM: (For LOWBEAM INSTALL only) Take the remaining relay and turn it over. Locate pin #87.

Solder the remaining end of your jumper wire to pin #87...AS CLOSE TO THE PLASTIC AS POSSIBLE. Do this as neatly as possible also. Soldering too low on the pin or any excess solder may prevent this relay from seating properly into the panel.

Step 9-For PARKLIGHT: (For PARKLIGHT INSTALL only) Take the remaining relay and turn it over. Locate pin #30.

Solder the remaining end of your jumper wire to pin #30...AS CLOSE TO THE PLASTIC AS POSSIBLE. Do this as neatly as possible also. Soldering too low on the pin or any excess solder may prevent this relay from seating properly into the panel.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** For those of you who are looking at the pics above and are getting ready to post a comment like "THAT IS THE SAME PICTURE...HOW CAN IT BE PIN #87 in one and PIN #30 in the other???" This is obviously screwed up......STOP and read please.
To ease your troubled mind:
Place a relay in the same position, making sure pin #87 is in the upper left-hand corner as indicated in the picture. NOW, rotate the relay while keeping it facing the same way and see what happens. Ah-Ha...magically, pin #30 takes it's place in the same upper left-hand corner.
So it is NOT a mistake.
Here is a picture...just to make sure we are on the same page.

Now...moving along.....

Step 10: (applies to both DRL Types) Whether you are connected to pin #30 or Pin #87 of the second relay, it should look something like this.

Step 11-For LOWBEAM: (For LOWBEAM INSTALL only) Reinstall your relays back into the relay panel.
REMEMBER that the relay that is now missing pin #85 goes in the FOG/LAMP (C) location and the relay with all of it's pins goes in the PRK/LAMP (A) location.
ALSO, be aware that the relays should be installed with the connections as indicated by the orange dots in the photo.
Just so you are on the same page, when your park lights are on, the PRK/LAMP relay will "switch", sending a signal to the fog relay. So, any time your park lights are on, your fogs will be on, too. No matter if you are on high beam or low beam.

Step 11-For PARKLIGHT: (For PARKLIGHT INSTALL only) Reinstall your relays back into the relay panel.
REMEMBER that the relay that is now missing pin #85 goes in the FOG/LAMP (C) location and the relay with all of it's pins goes in the HDLP (B) location.
ALSO, be aware that the relays should be installed with the connections as indicated by the orange dots in the photo.
Just so you are on the same page, when your headlights on, the HDLP relay will "switch", sending a signal to the fog relay. So, any time your headlights are on, your fogs will be on, too. No matter if you are on high beam or low beam (that is controlled by a seperate relay).

Here is a reminder of where your jumper wire should be once installed.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** If your fogs light up as soon as you install the relays, remove the relay that you did not cut a pin from. Verify that you have not installed it backwards. (See diagram above)

If everthing has gone as planned to this point, we are ready to give them a quick test.

If your DRLs are on, your fogs should NOT be on.
Now turn on your lights. Try low and high beam. You should have fogs in either position.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** Remember, for those of you who have low beams as DRLs, your fogs will be on any time your park lights are on....even if your headlights are NOT.

***IMPORTANT NOTE*** Your factory fog light switch will no longer control your fogs. YES, the light on the fog button may still function, but your fogs will no longer respond to that button.

For those who want more control:

OPTION 1: You can install a toggle switch to cut the fogs off. Just cut the new jumper wire and extend them into the cab and install onto a toggle switch. This will allow you to kill the fogs as you wish.

OPTION 2: Follow the steps above for removing pin #85 from the FOG relay. Install wire inside cover as instructed. BUT....instead of connecting to the other relay, simply connect it to any ignition activated power source (most commonly with a toggle switch). This will allow you to turn your fogs on any time your ignition is on...regardless of headlights, DRLs, etc...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Members....if you have any reservations or doubts about doing this...please ask BEFORE you dive in.
This will be completely reversable by replacing the modified relays with stock ones.

·
microwave
5,085 Posts
Very nice job on the revised how-to. Good job guys. Diagrams and pictures are very easy to follow :thumbup:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know it "looks" like a lengthy process if you just see the steps, but it is literally one jumper between two relays.

And Clint R. is the man! (If Cody turns out like his dad, he will go far)
Clint really helped me out on this one with the schematics and by providing a "fresh set of eyes" to look it over.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
excellent write up!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I notice the thread last week and now Im glad I waited for the revised version.

Cant wait to try this mod out and then ill post some pics up!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,275 Posts
Excellent work.

I think I could even handle this one!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some of us with 06+/low beam DRL pulled the relay. Would this mod work without the DRL relay?

·
The LED Dude
5,876 Posts
Oh now ya see there ya go complicating things...LOL, Yep it should work with the DRL relay removed. See both the head lamp relay contacts and the DRL contacts are in parallel so either will trigger the headlamps to come on. By driving the fogs relay coil with the HDLP relay the DRLs have no effect on the circuit. Hope this helps

Here is a link to the drawings
http://www.355nation.net/forum/elec...-schematics-07-08-canyon-colorado-w-2-9l.html

Once you unzip the file go to 4 light system and you can actually see whats going on

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
looks good guys....mayeb ill try this when i get the truck back...keep up the good work..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks good guys....mayeb ill try this when i get the truck back...keep up the good work..
Any word from the Dr....uh....I mean Dealer? How bad is it? If it turns out to be the BCM and they won't cover it via warranty, let me know. I have a friend who works at Mississippi Truck Dismantlers and they have a few Colorados out there. If the BCM is the same I will send you one to make restitution for my F'k up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some of us with 06+/low beam DRL pulled the relay. Would this mod work without the DRL relay?
What the Captain said. The modified fog relay in this How-To (for your specific truck) is totally dependant on your PRK/LAMP relay....which is completely seperate from a DRL relay.
In your case, when the park lights (aka running lights) come one, so will the fogs. You have the exact some setup as I do. Mine is an '06 with low beam DRLs too. Oh, I have been running mine 5 days a week for over two weeks, going and coming from work and it is flawless.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
not sure drove it down there a couple of days ago...they had it all day, well as long as they could being i had to take it a little soon to get home before dark, but they order me a new bcm and said it should be covered, but they dont think its the bcm...but my and capt talked about it and we are pretty sure it is...just fried it...

·
Registered
87 Posts
What the Captain said. The modified fog relay in this How-To (for your specific truck) is totally dependant on your PRK/LAMP relay....which is completely seperate from a DRL relay.
In your case, when the park lights (aka running lights) come one, so will the fogs. You have the exact some setup as I do. Mine is an '06 with low beam DRLs too. Oh, I have been running mine 5 days a week for over two weeks, going and coming from work and it is flawless.
Got it. I saw the wiring diagram. Thanks

Ric...

1 - 20 of 111 Posts