Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Very nice work! so clean and perfect.
I hate how water gets up in the gap between the lens and housing.

·
Captain of the Enterprise
1,486 Posts
baaa, embrace the moisture, maybe go buy a fish, have some fun with it :lmao:

something like this
Ya I would but I already have a huge Angel fish living in my room right now and with all the moisture in my headlight i maight beable to show him off to other drivers:D

·
MTS Crew!
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
great write up helped me out a lot and i know u dont say use clear silicone but i did and it shows up bad recommend only black on lens and housing..redoing mine this weekend hope all goes well
I wanted to update this I have tried out using some black silicone for the seal the DRLs up and if you are willing to take the time to tape them off it works really well.

They look better than when I used the clear silicone.

This only matters for the DRLs because you cant see the seam of the headlights.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Nice write-up. I used it to replace the pitted/cracked lenses on my stock headlamps. Although instead of using silicon I used butyl rubber caulk (available at RV stores and online) so it would work with the remainder of the OEM sealant.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great write up, I need to do this on mine soon. But I'm a little confused, in the first part you instructed to take the lens apart and remove the old sealant on the DRLs but for the headlights all we have to do is reheat the sealants and press it back in using the factory sealants.

Can re-using the factory sealants be done with the headlights and DRLs? Or would I be better off re-using the factory sealants while taping it off and adding some new silicone on the DRLs?

·
MTS Crew!
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great write up, I need to do this on mine soon. But I'm a little confused, in the first part you instructed to take the lens apart and remove the old sealant on the DRLs but for the headlights all we have to do is reheat the sealants and press it back in using the factory sealants.

Can re-using the factory sealants be done with the headlights and DRLs? Or would I be better off re-using the factory sealants while taping it off and adding some new silicone on the DRLs?
The sealant is different from headlights to DRL so that is why you can re-heat the headlights. Now the headlights and DRL have under some changes starting in 09 so you might not even be able to open them by heating them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The 09+ lights can be opened with baking. The marker lights opened much, much easier, but with patience, the headlamps open up too. The fun part is getting all the old sealant out! :D Pictures to come soon, my lights are almost ready for install.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Now we'll see how this works with a set of Chinese replacement HL's I purchased on Amazon...says they're direct GM replacement. Wondering how the sealant will be on these...will relay my experience soon.

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts
Now we'll see how this works with a set of Chinese replacement HL's I purchased on Amazon...says they're direct GM replacement. Wondering how the sealant will be on these...will relay my experience soon.
Mine are the TYC brand, same thing. When I baked mine the adhesive was pretty decent once I opened them. I actually baked them twice. Once to take the reflectors out and paint them black, and another time to put in my DKM reflectors. They sealed back up no problem.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Awesome news...thks @05RadoXtreme. Can't wait until I get the new reflectors so I can get everything swapped. Plan to tear apart & paint this weekend.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Finally, after a few delays, got my new "Chinese" HL's separated, painted, DK Moulds reflectors added (thks Dan @DKMoulds, @un4giv3n), baked and sealed (whew). Lessons learned:

1. That RTV silicone shit's messy so WEAR RUBBER GLOVES.
2. Take your time and think through each step.
3. Oven baking's "da bomb" as the RTV & plastic become very flexible/easy to work with.
4. Put the middle/painted shell in "before" baking...I made the mistake of trying to insert when RTV was hot/gooey and it got all over my paint when I pressed the outer/clear cover over top. Had to separate (again), let cool, used masking tape to remove RTV & then re-bake. Set me back an hour, or so...oh well...this is how we learn, right?
5. If you elect, add a bead of clear silicone around the top/bottom seam for added moisture protection. I did this because these newer power washers and car washes blast pretty hard. Just making sure moisture stays "out."

Overall, I like the outcome and can't wait to get these installed later today. Doing some plasti-dip on my grill so will have to post final/updated photos when buttoned-up.

Here are a few pics of my finished product:

IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0292.JPG

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Here some more updated info.. And I see pics are broken.. I can take more tonight when I open some sets. If this can be addedto OP? :shrug: @1BADI5

DRLs
Oven temp 265° -10-20 min
***eagle eye brand 10min intervals **

Same I for as billy posted.. Just some pics to go with it

Start bottom side furthest from reflector.

*New ones.. Will ha e to go back in to finish heating up the permaseal once opened**

Clean out old sealant

Reseal...and instead of rubber bands.. I use electrical tape. Why idk. Just home depot seems to have a deal of 10/rolls for $8 ..

Saran/stretch wrap..then I electrical tape for a tighter seal...let cude..then Silicone II around edges..

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
@un4giv3n ...Dan, so when I bake my stock DRL's to open, it's higher temp (e.g. 265-degrees) vs. 175? Also, how do you clean out the old silicone so well...? I make a super sticky mess...

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Correct @Iceman62 before I even started making reflectors..I broke 2 sets of depot lights trying to open them st that low of a temp..

Tyc and depot brand I've found 15-20 min. .. Start on the bottom corner..and once you get one corner..use the knife as a wedge..and get the top corner open...the. Wiggle back and forth pulling out to remove the lens.

That set was from an 06 so it was brittle and I had both DRLs done in 25 min. :lol:

But I just use a small screwdriver to clean the sealant out.. Only difference is the tyc ones.. You end up having to put them back in to warm the permaseal back
up..

Only ones I've found to watch for is the eagle eye. Brand. The lens likes to melt after 20 min.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Awesome - thks Dan! I had my DRL's off last weekend to install HID's and paint grill, but the sealing/seams looked different v.s headlights. Now I have the plan...don't want to snap the plastic as I don't have an extra set (yet) to work with. Appreciate the info!

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Awesome - thks Dan! I had my DRL's off last weekend to install HID's and paint grill, but the sealing/seams looked different v.s headlights. Now I have the plan...don't want to snap the plastic as I don't have an extra set (yet) to work with. Appreciate the info!
No problem!

·
Luv them hoochies
3,198 Posts
Re: How To: Seal Headlights & DRLs while adding new Reflectors

I know this is an old thread and I've done this once before and took everything apart and it was way more than the time stated

So this is probably a dumb question but can i bake them with the hids in if it's at low temps

21 - 40 of 44 Posts