Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

As some of you have heard, the sequential turn signals are "the thing to do" :D

I myself have wanted to do this project for some time but never really had the time to sit down and work on it. Well here it is in all it's glory.

Here are the things you will need to buy.. and where to buy them.

The last two bullets are TOTALLY OPTIONAL! I just wanted to get the LEDS in there.

Once you get all of the necessary equipment, here are the following tools you will need:

I first started by taking the turn light harness from the truck and marking the outside socket with tape. I laid it out and removed the stock bulbs from it.

Next, I laid out the "new" socket, and made sure I could read which wire was labeled what.

Next, I found the blue wire coming from the outside socket, and cut it up by the harness plug leaving enough wire at either side to use. This will be the ONLY WIRE CUT during this install.

Next I took the Cut blue wire still connected to the Stock Harness Plug, as well as the Red wire from the STS module, and the Black wire in the "A" spot on the new socket and screw tapped them all together.

Next, I took the white wire from the STS module, and screw tapped it with the other cut blue wire, the side that is still connected to the Stock outside plug.

The next step I took, was to take the "old" inside socket and locate the brown wire. Use the red t-tap supplied with the STS Module to tap into the Brown wire, and also connecting the "B" wire from the "new" inside socket to the same t-tap.

Next, grab the black wire from the STS module and run it ALL THE WAY THROUGH one side of the red t-tap, leaving the other side to splice into another wire...

once you get the black wire from the STS module through the red t-tap, grab the black "G" wire from the "new socket, and screw tap those two wires together. There still should be another side of the t-tap that isn't used.

Locate the Black wire on the "old" inside socket (next to the brown one we just tapped) and use the other side of the red t-tap to connect the black STS and the black "G" wire to it.

At this point, put your new LED bulbs in, one in the stock outside socket, and one in the "new" inside socket. All of you wires should be connected and look something like this...

(pic courtesy of Turbizzy/DBNissan)

If you do run LED's, you need to use the Load Resistors listed above. Here is the diagram on how to wire them up.

And here is a final pic of the Module installed on the truck. I drilled a tiny hole in the Rad Core Support to screw the Resistor to it.

Copy and redo for the opposite side DRL/Turn signal.

Any questions feel free to ask. Ill leave u with a videos. Will take some more when I have the time.

·
walking is for the poor
6,854 Posts
Re: How-To: Sequential Turn Signals

Nice write up. I would love to do this to my truck.

·
live like a lion
490 Posts

I did this mod awhile back, but didn't use LED's, load resistors, or the sequential module. I found that like a lot of others, the DRL's would blink by themselves during the day. I purchased the 3157 Amber Vleds V-LEDS.COM and put them in the inside socket and have the stockers on the outside. Once I put the LED bulbs in they haven't blinked by themselves at all. The bulbs light up sequentially just like 2twenty2's, but without all of the other hardware. This might be a little rigged, but it works exactly the same.

EDIT - Here's a vid of mine

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

I did this mod awhile back, but didn't use LED's, load resistors, or the sequential module. I found that like a lot of others, the DRL's would blink by themselves during the day. I purchased the 3157 Amber Vleds V-LEDS.COM and put them in the inside socket and have the stockers on the outside. Once I put the LED bulbs in they haven't blinked by themselves at all. The bulbs light up sequentially just like 2twenty2's, but without all of the other hardware. This might be a little rigged, but it works exactly the same.
LOL wow thats one way of doing it im sure works :high5: The LED bulb blinks quicker and lights up faster than the amber outer one so technically it is sequential, good job.

2twenty2 good write up man. Its very tough to get the real slow sequential look with LEDs since they light up so quickly. DBNissan uses LEDs in his turns, I use regular filament type bulbs that are chrome so they light up a little slower.

But like most folks who have done the dual turn signal mod with regular non-LED bulbs know, the DRLs will start to blink by themselves after a while of being on due to the added load on the BCM so I added a relay to each side turn signal using the BCM's on signal for the DRLs as the activating power signal for the relay's coil and then ran a new power wire from the fuse box to the switched side of each relay (with an inline circuit breaker of course). Ill try to draw up a diagram of mine sometime, its really the only way to go about it with non-LED bulbs and to repair the DRL blinking issue. If you decide on LEDs then you should be ok as LEDs draw a ton less amperage than each non-LED bulb which draw about 2 amps each.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

Something else I just thought of. Another way you could have saved the money from buying the load resistors way to still keep the filament bulb on the "old inner socket" and paint it black so you can't see it flash. This would act as a load resistor. Unless of course your like me and you completely cut out the "old inner socket".

·
Registered
3,158 Posts

hey man nice write up! when it gets closer to summer time i am thinking about doing this mod. but i want to keep the stock filament style bulbs. i like the fact that they blink sequentially but i have never been good at the flashers and stuff. but i was curious if i snagged a set of the outer DRL plugs out of a wrecked 355 and just cheated them in. would that work or would i have to go another route to get the similar effect?

thanks!

Norm

·
Registered
237 Posts

I like the slower blink rate I get with mine

For you do-it-yourselfers who dont want to spend for the STS module, here is my design. The 1Mohm pot on the gate makes the blink rate variable from instant to never so you can adjust it to your liking.

·
Registered
321 Posts

^^^ gives smart people a headache...lol

nice mod tho it looks classy now how hard is it to get rid of the clicking sound the blinkers make??

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

nice mod tho it looks classy now how hard is it to get rid of the clicking sound the blinkers make??
change out your stock stereo and dont buy the GM adapter... lol... its through the speakers

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

change out your stock stereo and dont buy the GM adapter... lol... its through the speakers
Naw foo its actually not. The chimes are through the stock deck but the turn signal/clock sound I beleive is in the cluster. I think there's a speakerbox behind the cluster that makes that noise if I remember right. I've got an alpine TV in my dash and my shit still clicks.

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,420 Posts

yep! Grab the knob that says "volume" and turn it to the right.. VIOLA.. no more clicking sound :kiki:

has always worked for me :shrug:

·
Registered
217 Posts

I have a question for you guys who have bought the STS-2S Sequencer. Is the $49 price for just the one module? Or is that for a pair of them? It looks like it just for one, in which case I'm not sure I want sequential turn signals that bad or not. Lol.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

I think everyone who has bought that STS module has asked the same question lol. To be clear, the $49 includes 2 modules (enough for both sides). So then all you need is 2 extra bulb sockets and 2 relays to eliminate the intermittent flickering.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I like the slower blink rate I get with mine

For you do-it-yourselfers who dont want to spend for the STS module, here is my design. The 1Mohm pot on the gate makes the blink rate variable from instant to never so you can adjust it to your liking.

Anyway to simplfy that for us do it yourselfers? I really would like to do this mod but i'm on a tight budget.

·
Registered
217 Posts

I think everyone who has bought that STS module has asked the same question lol. To be clear, the $49 includes 2 modules (enough for both sides). So then all you need is 2 extra bulb sockets and 2 relays to eliminate the intermittent flickering.
Ok, thanks. Sorry for asking something that has been asked a million times.

:salute:

·
Sadistic Kustomz Wi
2,234 Posts

great write up now i just need a lil extra cash

·
Registered
437 Posts

why dont people just buy the new bulb socket and tap all the wires from the new socket to the blinker socket? then all wires wud be connected to each other so when the blinker is on they both blink??

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts

why dont people just buy the new bulb socket and tap all the wires from the new socket to the blinker socket? then all wires wud be connected to each other so when the blinker is on they both blink??
This mod is for sequential turn signals not dual turns.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts