Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
Turbo EJ

Project Name
How To: Tint Head/Tail Lights from PDX Grafix

Project Description
I had a few people send me a PM asking what the Headlight and Tail light tint looks like. I tinted a DRL and a tail light tonight with the smoke color film just to give you guys an idea. Also below you will find a quick write up on how to do it. I don't have time right now to install the lights to show how they are lit up but once I get some time I will.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.5L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tool/Materials Needed
-Tint Material
-Application Fluid
-Razor Blade
-Lint Free Towels
-Squeegee
-Hair Dryer or heat gun

Project Time
1 hour

Project Cost
cost of tint

Headlights:

Tail Lights:

Step 1: Measure how much material is required to cover the item you are trying to cover and cut out what you need. Clean the item to be applied and then spay down the object with vinyl application fluid.

Step 2: Remove the liner from the back of the tint and also spray the application fluid onto the back of the tint to lubricate it and kept it from sticking.

Step 3: Put the tint onto the item you are going to cover.

Step 4: Spay the surface of the tint with the application fluid to lubricate it so the squeegee will glide smoothly over the surface.

Step 5: Next start with the flattest surface you can find and begin to squeegee the tint onto the item. Working as much fluid as you can out of the flat surfaces.

Once you get to the point where you are going around a curved item you will need to get your hair dryer and heat up the material. As you heat the material stretch it out around the edges and smooth it out with the squeegee. Don’t be afraid to stretch the vinyl, just try not to heat it too much.

Once you get the material stretched around all the edges, smooth it out with the squeegee and then go over it again with the hair dryer. This will form the material to the lens and help remove all moisture.

Trim away the excess material and you are done!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Re: How to Tint Head/Tail Lights from PDX Grafix!

looks good!!!

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts

I'm curious to see the pics of it done. I'll wait.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I'm going to move this to the "How To" section. ;)

Great write up, rep points added. :high5:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: How-To: Tint Head/Tail Lights from PDX Grafix!

How well does it work on the writing on the lights. I was thinking about getting mine painted but maybe tinting is the way to go. Nice write up :high5:

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Now, how easily can you remove it?
It can be moved the same way as any vinyl. Its not like window tint that will leave crap behind. All you gotta do is heat it up and peal it back. You can spary it down with vinyl remove to help get it off.

Did you use 35% ???? Or something less.... ?
Its just a smoke film. Its not rated in % so have no idea how much light goes through.

How well does it work on the writing on the lights. I was thinking about getting mine painted but maybe tinting is the way to go. Nice write up :high5:
It works well. The heat causes it to form around the writing. If you look close at the pic you can see.

·
Registered
839 Posts

How much does it cost to order enough for the tail lights and 3rd brake light. You think its possible to be able to separate the bed lights from the brake light with the tint?

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

How much does it cost to order enough for the tail lights and 3rd brake light. You think its possible to be able to separate the bed lights from the brake light with the tint?
You could prob do it with a 2'x2' sheet.

·
Registered
839 Posts

Do you sell it? Or is there a special plact to get it at?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts