Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Disclaimer
The community here at 355nation.net urges you to please use caution and seek professional assistance when performing modifications to your vehicle. Before attempting any modification it is advised that you refer to your Colorado or Canyon service manual or contact a certified mechanic as not all GMT355 trucks are the same. The staff and the associated members are in no way responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm inflicted to your vehicle or yourself which may result in attempting these modifications. The posts and content presented on this site reflect in no way the views of 355nation.net or it’s ownership.

A 355nation (CCP) presented by
Carbon08

Project Name
Wheel hop be gone $25

Project Description
Install Helper Springs to eliminate axle twisting and wheel hop.

Skill Level
Moderate

Project Vehicle
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado
Year: 2008
Engine: 3.7L
Power windows: Yes
Sun Roof: No

Tools Needed
13 mm and 19 mm wrenches, dremel tool or any tool that will work.

Project Time
1 hour or less

Project Cost
$25

Today we will install helper springs to help fight wheel hop. These are generic helper springs from autozone. $25 + tax.

Step 1
Cut off this plastic knob.

Step 2

Install as shown.

Step 3
Go spin ur tarz!!!!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they work good?
so far so good....dropped the clutch from 3k a couple times, no hop. Will have a better report after more driving, they've been installed like 10 min :D

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
anyone know if it would be possible to mount these on the top of the leafs? i have 4" blocks so my leafs hang down pretty far, and i dont want to have these be able to get caught on stuff

or could these springs be mounted backwards on the back of the leafs?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually, I'm pretty sure the lower shock mount is lower than the bar. I'll get some clearance pics tomorrow.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I've had these mounted on the top of the leafs in front of the axle for a few months. I was going to make a how-to as well but never got around to it, and my camera is being gay. They work well mounted on top of the leaf and seem to bring the back end of the truck down a little to level it out. I saw no change in my 60' times with these over when I had my Lakewoods on, and have only seen wheelhop once on the day I installed them. Even powerbraking at the track didn't cause any wheelhop. It's a great/cheap fix for the wheelhop on the 355's. :D

Great write-up, good job! :salute:

edit: Here's a pic of them installed on top of the leaf. You have to get them in just the right spot to not rub on the parking brake cable. You could probably bend the bracket holding the cable to move it out of the way, but I haven't had a chance to crawl under there again and take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the pic man, I was going to try that but didn't see them fitting with the parking brake cable. Guess they will. But I also dont want it to lower the rear any so I'll probably leave them be for now. They seem to work good.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does it actually lower the rear end? Am I missing something?
mounting it on top would somewhat condense the springs together bringing the rear lower....probably not more than a 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Niiiceeee....I've seen those in Autozone, but wasn't really sure if they'd work. Do ya think they could be painted?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
mounting it on top would somewhat condense the springs together bringing the rear lower....probably not more than a 1/2" or so.
That and the way the overload is working against the spring it's trying to flatten it. I would agree it's about 1/2", the truck sits a lot more level with them on.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Correct, they're in front of the axle on my truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but will these help out the rough ride on 4x4 Z71 2004 Colly? I have a rough ride that annoys me to no end. Have had the tires balanced twice and I have the tire pressure set to 30 on the dot. I am gradually learning to live with it, but it goes to the dealership next week (non-warranty, bought used with 55,000 miles). Just looking for a fix.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These basically make the rear springs stiffer, so no, I don't see any way they would make the ride smoother.

1 - 20 of 272 Posts