Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
I guess my biggest question is whether it is an easy thing to do or is it better left to a pro? I really want to know more about how it all works but don't want to make a mess of my PCM in the process.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
Do you know anything about fuel and spark mapping and timing? Hpt has its own forum, and theres plenty of books out there about it. I'd read up on the stuff if ya dont know it. But, you can save save copies of tunes on your computer and go back to stock at any time

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yeah I'm looking at different information on how it all works along with the other things I'd like to do to my truck. I think there is someone near Charlotte that tunes but not sure which route I want to take at the moment. I think they were charging a little over 100 for the initial tune and a minimal charge for any additional tweaks.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
It's a lot to take in when you first start out but if you are truly interesting in learning it is a very good thing to pick up. There are lots of good books and also very helpful people over at the HPT forum so if you have the ambition and time you will be able to pick it up.

I didn't know a damn thing about tuning last year now I can lay down a decent tune on my truck and have fooled around with forced injection which taught me a lot. It was a lot of headaches but well worth it in the end. You can also make some money tuning if you get confident enough in your abilities.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
yea. i been meaning to get those books and get onto HTPF some, but havent. been lazy. lol. havent really done anything for the truck, but have done some minor tweeking on the car. like setting the idle and tricking the CEL light not to come on for certain things.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I dont want to step on anyones toes, since I do my own tuning, but I can post .tun files from efilive to help those understand the theory of tuning. Kinda puts a picture up for those to see what changes effect what.

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I dont want to step on anyones toes, since I do my own tuning, but I can post .tun files from efilive to help those understand the theory of tuning. Kinda puts a picture up for those to see what changes effect what.

Well it is an HPTuners/AVT sponsored forum.

We do offer training as well as full street tunes:thumbup:

·
Registered
598 Posts
For the DIYer is there any reason to get the Pro or is the Standard all you will need? Also how do the credits work? I have a little idea of how they work but not completely sure.

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For the DIYer is there any reason to get the Pro or is the Standard all you will need? Also how do the credits work? I have a little idea of how they work but not completely sure.

The pro allows you to do data logging.
New HPTuners comes with 8 credits.
2 credits per vehicle or 6 credits to unlock year/motor.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
the 6creds will unlock every (example) 2005 canyon 3.5L

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
yea. not too cheap. got mine while deployed. :lol:

now just to figure it all out more. or, jus run into some one in person that i could hand my laptop to. lol

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
I don't know if anyone has had issues but I can not tune my truck with HPtuners. The 07 Colorado, canyons, and hummers have bugs. Does anyone know a solution to this problem????

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I don't know if anyone has had issues but I can not tune my truck with HPtuners. The 07 Colorado, canyons, and hummers have bugs. Does anyone know a solution to this problem????
Mines an 07' and I haven't had an issue. Do you have an aftermarket radio with one of the interfaces? If so remove the radio fuse before tuning, it can cause communication issues.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Mines an 07' and I haven't had an issue. Do you have an aftermarket radio with one of the interfaces? If so remove the radio fuse before tuning, it can cause communication issues.
Yes, I have an aftermarket radio. It's a touch screen. The shop got an e-mail from HPtuners and they said the 07's have a bug and they can't find the problem but I will sure try removing the fuse.

Have you heard anything about this bug thing they are talking about?

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
have you tryed asking this over on HPT Forum?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts