Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off hand, does anyone know if a stock colorado HU will fit in a 98-03 S-10? If it'll physically fit and bolt up, will it plug in? or are the plugs different?

My girls dad has a 01 ZQ8 and ever since I put the system in mine, that's all he can talk about!! Said that's something he's always wanted. And they don't have alot of money so I've been thinking of ways to hook him up with a nice system on a budget. So I was thinking it'd be nice if a colorado HU will work in there cause I could find him a 6-disc for cheap and just score him some replacement speakers and maybe like a 10 or something and amp them both. That'd be a nice lil setup for him and his Classic Rock!:bang: :lolsign:

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Off hand, does anyone know if a stock colorado HU will fit in a 98-03 S-10? If it'll physically fit and bolt up, will it plug in? or are the plugs different?

My girls dad has a 01 ZQ8 and ever since I put the system in mine, that's all he can talk about!! Said that's something he's always wanted. And they don't have alot of money so I've been thinking of ways to hook him up with a nice system on a budget. So I was thinking it'd be nice if a colorado HU will work in there cause I could find him a 6-disc for cheap and just score him some replacement speakers and maybe like a 10 or something and amp them both. That'd be a nice lil setup for him and his Classic Rock!:bang: :lolsign:
I dont know for sure if it will work but I doubt it since the stereo in the colorado makes the chime noise for the truck. Also to get a stock stereo out of these new vehicles to work in other vehicles it sometimes has to be reprogrammed at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
nope.. no go.. i've tried it on my bro's s10 blazer.. i think its the same interior for the s10 pickup.. the plug was different and u have to make custom mounts

and of course the lock feature doens't help either. the radio i think reads the vin # of the vehicle... so theres another no go item

good luck man

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There goes that idea!:dawg:

Prolly just use his stocker to keep the cost down. Set him up with a system like mine. He loves the way it sounds....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
hold on....i have to drag this thread back up lol.... if you get the wiring diagrams for both vehicles and wire it up correctly, then make some custom brackets....why wouldnt it work? im guessing the chime noise and such either just wont work or you wont even need to hook those wires up...just a thought.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
He's already done it I think so it doesn't matter, but either way isn't the Colorado have a much larger opening? I think it's a double-din, and the s10's are a din-half. :shrug:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I thought they were both double din, but can't remember for sure - it's been a while since I owned my S10. But since the Coly radio uses the databus to know when to turn on and off, I doubt a custom wiring harness would work.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!! What a surpise to see this thread again!!:lolsign:

Yea, I just bought him an A/M CD player and replaced all his speakers. Sounds good as hell. He freakin loves it.

And looking at his stocker and mine, ours are alot bigger. Would've been cool though.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts