Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gettin some new wheels tuesday and need to know before I head to teh machine shop exactly what size do I need to have it bored to.

100 mm (what it needs to be but heard it could be too tight)
101 mm (to give enough clearence)
102 or more

what do you think, dont want to get it done twice or too much taken off.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I believe the hub is 100.3mm so it needs to be bigger than that. I'm pretty sure it will also need the chamfer put into it if you're only having them bored to exactly the hub size. It may not be a bad idea to just take a spare wheel with you (still have those ZQ8's?) and just let them measure them so they can machine them to match.

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah still have the zq8's, i dont know why I didnt think of that. Our hubs are lug centric right?? so even If I go over it doesn't matter.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Yes, our trucks are lug centric so as long as the wheels are lug centric (which they should be) then you shouldn't have a problem if they go a little over.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I thought our trucks were hubcentric?

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they are lug centric......can anyone else shed some light here that has had this done successfully

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
:yeahthat:

Pretty much all factory wheels are both from what I understand.

·
Registered
44 Posts
17" Boyd Coddington Nemesis billet wheels are these going to fit my truck they came off a full size chevy 6 lug with a 5.5 pattern but will the hub fit and how many inches do i need to make it clear for the hub i have an 08 colorado

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
It's an aftermarket wheel so you'd be better off asking whoever you're buying them off of what the hub bore diameter is. They need to be at least 100.3mm to clear the hubs on our trucks. Most likely they're hub centric for the full size since they're a billet wheel, so they'll need the hub bore enlarged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hub centric, Bore centric ... Can someone please explain what these terms mean in Layman's terms?

I'm exploring the possibility of fitting some 17x7.5" Sierra rims (07-09) on my '11 Colorado 4x4 Z71. The fellow I was going to purchase them from told me that they will fit the tires I want to run, but you can't fit a full size truck rim on our rigs because the hub bore is too large.

I've since learned that this is in fact, true. One solution to this appears to be to add a 1.5" aluminum billet spacer. This may be a dumb question, but ... Won't this procedure prevent the wheels from securely fastening onto the axle? In my minds eye, I would think that all that would hold the wheels on is the lugs... Is that enough strength for a vehicle that goes off-road?

Look forward to being enlightened.

JD

·
Est. 1992
2,304 Posts
Hub centric, Bore centric ... Can someone please explain what these terms mean in Layman's terms?

I'm exploring the possibility of fitting some 17x7.5" Sierra rims (07-09) on my '11 Colorado 4x4 Z71. The fellow I was going to purchase them from told me that they will fit the tires I want to run, but you can't fit a full size truck rim on our rigs because the hub bore is too large.

I've since learned that this is in fact, true. One solution to this appears to be to add a 1.5" aluminum billet spacer. This may be a dumb question, but ... Won't this procedure prevent the wheels from securely fastening onto the axle? In my minds eye, I would think that all that would hold the wheels on is the lugs... Is that enough strength for a vehicle that goes off-road?

JD
you can get them bored out to fit, or you can run spacers, running spacers is safe depending on what your doing with them... what kinda off roaring are we talking about? trail riding and flexing on a rock in the ground.. or mudding/hard flexing in ditches and rocks? big difference when it comes to using a spacer.

·
Haters gonna hate
6,576 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but ... Won't this procedure prevent the wheels from securely fastening onto the axle? In my minds eye, I would think that all that would hold the wheels on is the lugs... Is that enough strength for a vehicle that goes off-road?

JD
You can get spacers with offset studs so you use your lugs to bolt the spacer on then the wheel bolts to the spacer.I ran spacers for over a year with a heavy foot and off-road with no problems.Just pop the wheels off and check the torque of the inner lugs holding the spacer on.Or take your wheels to a machine shop and tell them to enlarge the hub center to 4"

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can get spacers with offset studs so you use your lugs to bolt the spacer on then the wheel bolts to the spacer.I ran spacers for over a year with a heavy foot and off-road with no problems.Just pop the wheels off and check the torque of the inner lugs holding the spacer on.Or take your wheels to a machine shop and tell them to enlarge the hub center to 4"

Racer X, can I run a set of spacers on the newer model silverado wheels and avoid having the hub bored? or will that cause the factory style wheels to stick out to far? I don't mind a slight amount of tire hanging out, as long as I can clear my flares etc. when turning.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Bagged Bomber
10,952 Posts
Just get a router and bore them out, you can do it in less then an hour and you wont have to worry about messing with the spacers. There should be a how to somewhere if you're interested in going that route.

·
Haters gonna hate
6,576 Posts
Racer X, can I run a set of spacers on the newer model silverado wheels and avoid having the hub bored? or will that cause the factory style wheels to stick out to far? I don't mind a slight amount of tire hanging out, as long as I can clear my flares etc. when turning.

Thanks,

Nick
You start adding spacers and the wheel will hang out past the flares.Its easier to just bore them out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts