Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was curious if anyone else has had burned through hubs after tb crank. Ive gone through 2 sets of hubs in about 6k, one i replaced 1k ago is already done. No im not buying shit hubs either, best i could buy from rockauto...tb cranked to 23.5 hub to fender, v8bars, rancho 5000

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Something sounds wrong. (I know, obvious right)

23.5" isn't a big number. CV joints will fail if the differential on a 4x4 isn't lowered, but I haven't heard of the extreme wear on the hubs like you described.

The V8 bars and Rancho shocks should have zero affect on it either. Are your wheels extremely shallow backspaced?

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Did you put the right hub in the right side? Two different part numbers. Did you torque the bolts properly? I do not remember the specs, but they do have to be torqued. Also, what brand of hubs? Were they built in China? Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Haven't had the issue on my Colorado but the S10 hubs (similar design) usually benefited from being retorqued after 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I baught skf hubs. Which is the manufacturer of acdelco and they are by no means cheap. I did drop the diff and flip the upper ball joints. I can get pics of my tbar and key after work today. These hubs didnt come with replacememt abs sensers so it doesnt matter which side they go on. My wheels are 15x7 with 4" backspace on 31x1050..nothin serious. If its a mechanical part i refuse to let crafty underpaid chinese labours make my parts.and yes to alignment..but unfortunately before the bj flip which i did when i replaced these hubs 1k ago. But still dosnt explain the hubs going before the flip. And just to clearify it hasnt seen dirt since december, well before this problem started.

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, the SKF bearing, that goes in the hub for our truck are manufactured, according to SKF, in Dalian, China. They are then shipped to one of several other plants around the world to be put into the hub. Same as Timken, bearings are manufactured in China, shipped to the U.S. and then the hub is assembled and shipped out. I sell auto parts for a living, manage a Carquest store in Monticello, FL. There are no hubs on sale for our trucks that the bearing itself are manufactured anywhere accept China and Taiwan. If you want a bearing from somewhere else, you can get the bearing, but you have to have a great machinist to press the old bearing out and the new in with out warping the hub housing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Said made in canada on the box with the made in canada seal of approval sticker..heck theplant the were made in is only 40 miles for my home town

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok digem that sounds fair ill take that...the reality of manufaturing in the 21st century is everything is in one way or another made in china...like u said the materials will all be made in china and assembled in north america so there is really no way around it...if anyone can point me to an all american bearing that be great

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so as an auto parta sales dude, which hub assemblies would u suggest

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Every shop or builder I work with recommends the TIMKEN units.

Thats what I just installed on mine......very complete kit. The ABS wheel speed sensors were already installed and the ABS lines came with all new clips install on the line.

All I had to do was remove the old unit and install the new one........It was so easy.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im having trouble uploading pics of the tbar keys off my phone so before i hastle my self more, what the relivance

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I have not changed mine yet. 179000 plus miles and still good. With that said, I am putting the Carquest Premium hubs made by Federal Mogul in mine, because I sell them. They have 3 year 36000 mile warranty. If it fails bring it back and Carquest will replace it. If you do not have access to a Carquest, the Timken's are about the best you can get. That is my opinion, based on what I sell and what I see coming back for exchange. Very few of the hubs I have sold have come back. Our OE line of hubs are made by Fenco and come from China, we sell a lot of them, and the seem to be good, but the warranty sucks, 1 year 12000 miles. The premium hubs are assembled in Korea, and made in China and Korea. Obviously I am biased, and so my opinions are biased to my products. I have bought many parts for the truck at the store where I work, and I have only had one bad part, a faulty reman power steering pump.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
If you flipped your ball joint and didn't get an alignment that is part of your problem, you will certainly have bad camber and caster and also the toe will likely be out and that will beat on the bearings. Next are you actually tightening the axle nuts to the torque spec? If not that will also cause harm to the bearing very quickly. Lastly when assembling the hub into the knuckle are you tightening the 4 bolts down evenly, using loctite, and ensuring they are tight still after a few hundred miles?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts