Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't post much on here but I got the idea to use the H3 wheels from others posting here so I thought I'd give back a little. The problem with the H3 wheels is the limited options for centers, they have a 7.1" opening and none of the factory centers will fit plug and play.
I bought a couple different centers and landed on the late 90's silverado center p/n 46282, they have an O.D. of 7.25" and were much to tall (would stick out well past the tire buldge). I used a cutting wheel and disc sander to take the entire outer edge off all the way to the radius where it turns down. This cut down version was exactly the same O.D. as the H3 opening.
The lug nut covers that came with these centers weren't deep enough to reach to the lug on the H3 wheels so you have to use the 45mm long versions, dorman 611-622.1 and you'll have to swap to the external threaded lug nuts.
The only real mod to the wheel is just a slight clearancing where the lug nut cover contacted the edge of the wheel opening, just hit it with a barrel sander bit, maybe 5 mins work per wheel.
The result looks (to me) like the wheels and tires that should have come on it from the factory. Tires are Cooper Discoverer CTS 245/75-16

Here's some pic's on photobucket, the first few are with the AR teflon wheels (forsale in the classifieds section- http://www.355nation.net/forum/sale/123753-american-racing-teflon-chamber-wheels.html ) with 265/70-16's and the rest show the new stuff:

Colorado Wheels Photos by LCAC_Man | Photobucket

·
Registered
402 Posts
That turned-out well for a bit of sleuthing for parts and some sweat equity. I had some H3's but sold them after finding some Xtreme 18's" about a week later. I sold the H3's locally but still have 5 center caps, the wheels were NOS take-off's at time of purchase of the truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts