Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HYDRA-MATIC 6L50 SIX SPEED AUTOMATIC (MYB)

Product Highlights

Modular Design
The modular concept of the Hydra-Matic 6L50 centers on the desire for common components and manufacturing tooling for four different size variants of the six-speed family. All versions use three gearsets: a simple input planetary gearset and two output gearsets, one of which is a compound gearset with three pairs of two pinion gears on the output carrier, one pair meshing with the sun gear and the other with the ring gear.

Performance Algorithm Braking
Performance Algorithm Shifting is available on some applications. Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) monitors how assertively the driver is using engine output to determine at what engine speed to upshift or downshift.

Driver Shift Control

Advanced Control System
Advances in transmission control modules allow them to exist reliably inside the transmission, where temperatures remain fairly constant compared to a body-mounted module. The transmission and module are assembled together, so no additional steps are necessary during vehicle assembly.

The 6L50's 32-bit transmission control module (TCM) monitors transmission performance and compensates for normal wear in components such as clutch plates, so transmission performance remains consistent for the life of the transmission.

Overview

The Hydra-Matic 6L50 (MYA) six-speed automatic transmission for rear- and all-wheel-drive vehicles is part of GM's family of fuel-saving, electronically controlled six-speed automatics The modular design of the 6L50 is shared with variants rated for different torque levels to accommodate various engines and vehicle applications. All versions share a unique output gearset configuration that enables it a wider range of ratios than a conventional planetary gearset automatic transmission. This allows the transmission to be tailored for optimal fuel economy while delivering excellent acceleration traits.

The wide overall ratio spread of 6.04:1 allows a "steep" first gear, as well as a very "tall" overdrive top gear for low-rpm highway cruising.

Specs
15rSeWPGrwrreAAP1w2hkYkVDmeuRojkUlrEAutnrD7Y

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
A weaker version of the 6L80/6L90 trannys.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I suspect the Diesel will get something like the 6L80. The 50 isn't designed to handle the extra torque.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
it's sealed from the factory, 480ft lbs ain't bad for a small trans

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
There is a fluid level inspection plug on the cadiracs and owners have been asking and bitching for years. As far as the trucks Idk but I would think the same. How else would the dealers make money. Buyer beware

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
No drain plug either only a fill plug on the bottom so you have to purchase a hand pump to inject the fluid.

The new trucks like I said I never seen. The few cadis I've done have a drain plug on the transmission pan from the factory with a fill plug on the case. All were 3.6 but 2011 or older.

So are the new not serviceable? I'll have to look at the owners manual when I can get to it.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
For severe duty use it says to change the fluid at 45K so you'll have to drop the pan down, replace the internal filter & pan gasket.

Not sure if the torque converter has a drain plug but my guess would be no, so you would only be able to remove the old fluid from the lower pan.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
man, I HATE this "sealed-for-life" trend.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Best transmission I have ever driven...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts