Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 06 Colorado Z71 4x4 that has run flawlessly at 50 k miles. Today...check engine light on constant. Gas cap issues are common I understand. Released cap...no response. What's next??? Sorry if this has been posted prior. Android tablet won't let me type in search forum space. I need advice and thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
gonna need the code read by a scanner.... check engine light can come on from a number of problems/issues, the PCM will put out a code that can be read by a scanner to help identify the problem(s)

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
^^Yup... If you don't know, you can stop by most Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc stores and they will have a scanner to read the code and then provide you with said code.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No need...just checked the gas cap again. Tightened it until it clicked...I can totally pull it straight up out of the nozzle without resistance. Cap must be shot. Simple repair!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Get it scanned anyways, the light won't go off until it's cleared by a scanner. Besides, it's free at almost all auto parts stores.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it to Auto zone yesterday and they put a scanner on it and it was verified. Does the scanner clear the code once it is determined OR does the service tech have to do something to clear the code? He just told me to fill the tank, tighten the new cap, and drive it a few days. He said the "check engine light" would eventually go out! Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I took it to Auto zone yesterday and they put a scanner on it and it was verified. Does the scanner clear the code once it is determined OR does the service tech have to do something to clear the code? He just told me to fill the tank, tighten the new cap, and drive it a few days. He said the "check engine light" would eventually go out! Is that correct?
You can clear it from the scanner. Or disconnect your battery long enough for it to reset.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Check engine lights are the result of the ecm seeing a problem within spec parameters. A scan gauge or diagnostic reader give you a certain GM number for the problem . This is often called the code or trouble code So if you know the code you can start searching from there.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If the gas cap corrects the problem the light will go out. You can also disconnect the negative cable on the battery for 10 minutes and it will reset it. He could've cleared it with the scanner, not sure why he didn't.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
ive gotten used to mine being on for like the past 2 years, lmao.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts