Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
iv seen some pretty ugly fuse boxes and having ours onthe outside doesnt help at all. i ment to take pics and post this up when i did my alarm................but i got lazy and didnt.

anyway start by testing the fuse you want to tap. for this one im useing the sunroof fuse for my radio

then disconect the neg(-) batt. cable and then disconect the 2 red wires on the left of the fuse box wityh a 10mm deep socket( the ones connected to the 100 Amp fuse).
then take a 7mm socket and loosen all the way the 4 screws in the fuse box

then unclip the clips all around the fuse box and lift it up.

carfully pull all the boxes on the bottom away from the fuse box, starting from the left. untill ur left with the 2 clips on the far right, use a flat blade to get those out.

then find out where the fuse ur taping is located inthe boxes, and open the bottom of it to reviele the wires

then splice into it. CARFULY. make sure you have the right wire

tape everything back up (1st take of the factory tape and run the wire in the tubing)

put everything back together and enjoy

if you have any ?'s dont be afraid to ask

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: How To: fuse tap CLEAN

Sweet man.

So, did you use an inline t-tap for this and then a male spade connector, or did you strip the wire, soldier the two and then heat shrink before taping?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

no i just used on of these and cripmped it hard

but now that u said it, i should of used heat shrink

·
Registered
202 Posts

Holy shit!!!!!!!!! You haven't heard of Tapacircuit? Way easier and much faster!!:eek:

·
Registered
321 Posts
What the hell is a tapacircuit

anyway, im very mechanicaly inclind (although i cant spell for shit). i do all the work on my truck myself. i find it fun, i even buy somethings i wont use that much except for showing off, just so i can have the pleasure of installing it

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

mmmmm.......tapacuirtut, pretty niffty invention. although it would be no diffrent than doing this,

except that youd onlty have the amprege of the fuse u taped, not so with the tapacurcuit. im not knocking you or anything its just that the point of this is for it to be clean, and have no wires showing,

but you know me...............
im very mechanicaly inclind (although i cant spell for shit). i do all the work on my truck myself. i find it fun, i even buy somethings i wont use that much except for showing off, just so i can have the pleasure of installing it

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the idea of a clean install with no wires showing, but tapping into the existing 20A sunroof circuit puts an additional load it wasn't designed for. Can an empty fuse slot be used for a new circuit instead? I assume the hot side fuse clip is there, but is the load side clip to attach a wire? That would be cool.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay, humour me for a second here; being medically inclined, and not necessarily so mechanically inclined - what the heck is all this for!?!

And feel free to attack, because me and wires don't get along. Never have...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Okay, humour me for a second here; being medically inclined, and not necessarily so mechanically inclined - what the heck is all this for!?!

And feel free to attack, because me and wires don't get along. Never have...
I think it has to do with adding a new circuit?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Radio.. If you don't want to tap a Fuse.. you will need to buy a special Wiring Harness.
Some people opt for the tap A Fuse for the reduced costs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts