Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:noes:

Tuning changes:
Changed stoich to 9.765

Added 20% to all cranking tables

Added 10% to OL table when ECT is under 133

Everything seems fine yesterday and this morning during cold start. I will log some data and check it out to make sure everything is cool, but I probably won't do any tuning until next tank as there was still 2 gallons of 93 in the tank when I filled up.

Will keep everyone updated.

(disclaimer: doing this could corrode your fuel system within 24 hours, this could cause catostophic failure and result in you and your truck blowing up. do this at your own risk! :kiki:)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahaha....blow up hey?! So why try this?
that was just a joke...I made the disclaimer to stop people from posting...."won't e85 eat away all your fuel system".....which may OR may not eventually happen :lol:

btw: the E85 was 2.53 a gallon while 93 was 3.03/gal.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
I am looking forward to see how far you get with this and the results.

Are you worried about the E85 eating your fuel system? E-85 = :hulk:

J/K bro. :mc3:

·
Registered
41 Posts
What are the fuel trims at and how is injector duty cycle with the E85?
Good point. The stock injectors can't handle E85 at the top end. You'll need 50% more fuel volume, the stock injects are nearly toped out with an intake, exhaust and gasoline.

Other note: See how much timing you can add, E85 is like what, 114 octane, try not to go past the max brake toque points though.... good luck...

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
im not too bright and havent looked into e85 but whats the difference on how it works (better mpg, power, etc..) and is it suppose to be any healthier for vehicles (the ones that come ready to run it)?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good point. The stock injectors can't handle E85 at the top end. You'll need 50% more fuel volume, the stock injects are nearly toped out with an intake, exhaust and gasoline.

Other note: See how much timing you can add, E85 is like what, 114 octane, try not to go past the max brake toque points though.... good luck...
it is technically 105 octane or so. but you dont need 50% more volume for E85, maybe 25-30% more...my injectors were under 50% duty cycle before. I have a 4 cylinder and dont have any mods. I have not done any logs yet...just been cruising and trying to get it mixed with the gas I had in there.

im not too bright and havent looked into e85 but whats the difference on how it works (better mpg, power, etc..) and is it suppose to be any healthier for vehicles (the ones that come ready to run it)?
E85 gets worse MPG by about 30%. It is usually cheaper, depends on where you live to determine how much cheaper. E85 reduces harmfull pollutants that come from vehicles exhausts. Oh, and now most my money goes to farmers in the midwest, not the middle east! I'm lucky that the station closest to my house has E85.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, it's time for some lovely chemical balances.
Ground Rules: Air Fuel ratio is by mass, not vapor volume.

The Approximate Chemical balance for gasoline:
C8H18+ 12.5(3.76N2+O2) -> 8CO2+ 9H2O+ 47N2 (this will not be completly accurate since gas is not exactly dimethypentane, better know as "octane")
For Ethanol E100:
C2H6O+ 3(3.76N2+O2) -> 2CO2+ 3H2O+ 11.28N2

The Air fuel ratio for gas (octane, not exactly gas):
12.5(3.76*14.01*2+16*2)/(12.01*8+1.008*18)= 15.03

For Ethanol:
3(3.76*14.01*2+16*2)/(12.01*2+1.008*6+16)=8.95

Since E85 is 15% gasoline:
E85 = .15*14.7+.85*8.95 = 9.81:1 AFR
Which is 14.7/9.81=49.8% more fuel required.

I thought it would be nice for everyone to see the actual math behind calculating an air/fuel ratio, since I don't think very many people really know what's behind it. 1.008, 12.01, 14.01 and 16 is the molar mass in grams per mole of hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. One mole is 6.022*10^23 atoms. So 16 grams of Oxygen contain 60,220,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms, neat huh... yea I know it's just me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
:noes:

Tuning changes:
Changed stoich to 9.765
DAMMIT you already put down the AFR. :shrug:

Under cat protection it will command a 10.1:1 afr, that will max out the injectors using gasoline. Using ethanol. You'll be running stoich to slightly lean in the 5K zone. I'll need to look at my scanner to see how much over I went. If you live at a higher altitude you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
COT off and piston protection off, on E85 with a max commanded AFR around 8.2:1....100% duty cycle at 4850 rpm and 119% at 5700 rpm.

:(

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Doh! I assumed the fuel system would be tapped out. Interesting work though!

Project E85 continuing or dead?

Stocker2 found some larger injectors for our trucks but not sure the review on them was that great...:shrug:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, i found the injectors. would be about $300 for 4 of them but I'm not gonna dump that money into this engine.

I'll still run it and keep it under 5k...unless I'm really testing performance I never get above 5k anyways. Still wanna do some tuning and see what kind of mileage I get.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Sweet... Yeah if I am driving normally, 4800 rpm is WAY more than enough for me to get around safely. I am curious to hear what type of Ign Adv you can get out of it also.

·
Registered
296 Posts
that was just a joke...I made the disclaimer to stop people from posting...."won't e85 eat away all your fuel system".....which may OR may not eventually happen :lol:

btw: the E85 was 2.53 a gallon while 93 was 3.03/gal.
You still got the raw deal on that one. E85 has 2/3 the calorie (not food, energy unit) content as regular gas. Therefore you would have needed a price of $2.02 or lower to make this a good deal.

The experiment on the other hand may be worth it though.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You still got the raw deal on that one. E85 has 2/3 the calorie (not food, energy unit) content as regular gas. Therefore you would have needed a price of $2.02 or lower to make this a good deal.

The experiment on the other hand may be worth it though.
that remains to be seen after I do some tuning and find out what kind of mileage I can get.

but in the end more of my money is going to farmers than oil companies or forign countries!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts