Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Look, you're frustrated, we get it... but you don't list scan codes, you don't list the symptoms other than limp mode, you just list the replacements and ask for our input on something you can't share the issues for this thread to suggest recommendations. Smart people are trying but have no detailed information prior to changing TBs. That may not be problem but we know since your mechanic hasn't shared his scan results with you and his reasons for changing the TBs 4 times....

Good luck.
Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
The grounds are horrible on these trucks and well documented on here. Grind down to shiny metal, star washers, some ring terminals, pliers, and a 6 pack. Random problems will go away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The grounds are horrible on these trucks and well documented on here. Grind down to shiny metal, star washers, some ring terminals, pliers, and a 6 pack. Random problems will go away.
You forgot standing on one foot and hopping up and down turning knobs to fix another light that shouldn't be there off the cluster...😂

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'll bet $100 that if he repaired a grounding problem on his fenders all of his problems would disappear. Yeah, I'm "OldGuy" that sent him the video. It's been posted here a few times as a successful fix for the problem he was having. I thought everyone here has discovered that if you have ANY electrical problems with these trucks, the first thing to do is check on the ground connections on the fenders.
Where is this guy? I'll meet some of you at his house and we can get him fixed up with little cost at all. I'd gladly look at his truck for him. My '04 has 265,000 miles on it and I was just telling someone a couple of days ago, if it completely fell apart tomorrow, I'd look for another one just like it and expect to get at least 265,000 miles out of it too. I love my truck, but it realize it's not for everyone.
Ground issues. I'm confident that is his problem. If not, it wouldn't cost much, if anything, to try.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Sorry Rex, I didn't see that there was a "page 2" here and I responded without knowing that you already mentioned the ground issues we have all had and have had to repair. Your solution is spot-on, and the same thing I did on my truck. I didn't mean to steal your thunder! I think you hit the nail on the head and I wish I could have bought this guys truck that he probably sold pretty cheap as a "project truck" and would have spent a dollar or two (not including the 6 pack) to have a good running second Colorado truck with a brand new throttle body and lots of other unnecessarily new parts on it!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll bet $100 that if he repaired a grounding problem on his fenders all of his problems would disappear. Yeah, I'm "OldGuy" that sent him the video. It's been posted here a few times as a successful fix for the problem he was having. I thought everyone here has discovered that if you have ANY electrical problems with these trucks, the first thing to do is check on the ground connections on the fenders.
Where is this guy? I'll meet some of you at his house and we can get him fixed up with little cost at all. I'd gladly look at his truck for him. My '04 has 265,000 miles on it and I was just telling someone a couple of days ago, if it completely fell apart tomorrow, I'd look for another one just like it and expect to get at least 265,000 miles out of it too. I love my truck, but it realize it's not for everyone.
Ground issues. I'm confident that is his problem. If not, it wouldn't cost much, if anything, to try.
So where might be these wires that ground to fender?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
One the inner fenders. Passenger side behind the air filter box. Driver side by all the ABS stuff. There will be a bolt with a 10mm head holding down a little black plastic "box" that has about 6-8 ground wires. Crack open that little black box (about 1/2" x 1") and there's a connector in there that all the wires are connected to. The problem is usually the mounting bolt works loose or gets rust or corrosion around it, or inside the box the wires get loose or corrosion in there. The best and permanent solution is to cut that box off and put ring terminals on all the wires and bolt them back into place. On my truck, it cleared up rough idle, constantly burning out tail lights and brake lights, and other weird issues with blinkers and brake lights. My driver's side is still in tact and working fine, but the passenger's side seems more prone to failure. Easy fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
One the inner fenders. Passenger side behind the air filter box. Driver side by all the ABS stuff. There will be a bolt with a 10mm head holding down a little black plastic "box" that has about 6-8 ground wires. Crack open that little black box (about 1/2" x 1") and there's a connector in there that all the wires are connected to. The problem is usually the mounting bolt works loose or gets rust or corrosion around it, or inside the box the wires get loose or corrosion in there. The best and permanent solution is to cut that box off and put ring terminals on all the wires and bolt them back into place. On my truck, it cleared up rough idle, constantly burning out tail lights and brake lights, and other weird issues with blinkers and brake lights. My driver's side is still in tact and working fine, but the passenger's side seems more prone to failure. Easy fix.
Thanks I'll look into it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I sold the truck to a friend. I did see what you were talking about but I would have to remove things to confirm the state of the wires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I sold the truck to a friend. I did see what you were talking about but I would have to remove things to confirm the state of the wires.
They needed something cheap
My luck would dictate they'll drive it another 100k sans all the mysterious electrical problems

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
So sorry that it wasn't a good fit for you. I like working on things and figuring stuff out. I know that's not for everybody. Tell your friend about this forum. It would be great for us to assist in getting it figured out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I will, but to be honest except for people like you there's very little useful information on here and during this thread I had a lot of people calling my mechanics idiots, kept asking for codes I don't have and so forth. My skill working with cars is pretty limited, especially since there's no room to work on them. I can do oil changes, brakes, stuff I can reach and so on. But when it comes to codes and diagnostics I have to rely on the experts if no other reason they have access to all the ridiculously priced software GM makes me buy for their parts.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Yeah, I'm an "old dog" learning new tricks. I have three grown sons that help me out with the technical stuff. I did purchase a cheap code reader for about $30 on Amazon, so I can read the error codes and google it to get some idea as to what it means. It helps a lot on this forum to supply the info these guys ask for. So what are you replacing your Colorado with? Trucks are outrageously priced these days! A decent 15 year old truck with 150,000 miles on it is selling for close to $15,000 these days! It's crazy!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts