Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4x4 2006 Colorado that has 155k on the engine. Once the engine is at normal operating temp, I get the low oil light. I have since replaced the oil pump and oil pressure sensor, but it didnt fix the problem. The truck is lifted and in really good shape other than this oil pressure issue. I just hate to keep throwing money at it if there really isnt a fix for it. According to my local Chevy dealership, parts for the 3.5 are extremely hard to get and I cant find any crate 3.5s. Have any of you gone through this situation?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 4x4 2006 Colorado that has 155k on the engine. Once the engine is at normal operating temp, I get the low oil light. I have since replaced the oil pump and oil pressure sensor, but it didnt fix the problem. The truck is lifted and in really good shape other than this oil pressure issue. I just hate to keep throwing money at it if there really isnt a fix for it. According to my local Chevy dealership, parts for the 3.5 are extremely hard to get and I cant find any crate 3.5s. Have any of you gone through this situation? View attachment 342532
That’s one sweet looking truck. Can you verify the oil pressure is actually low when it gets up to temp? If repairing the i5 is not feasible, I would do an LS swap. That is if the rest of the truck is in good condition, but by just looking, she looks awesome.

·
Internet Troll
1,329 Posts
I know that repairing the 2.9 in my '09 was going to cost more than an LS swap. IF looking into a used engine, be aware that almost all of the engines with 100,000+ miles will need to be opened and timing chains and tensioners replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you also replace all of the timing components when you replaced the oil pump? Did you check the oil pickup tube while you were in there? If you replaced the timing chain and components, it seems you have done some expensive work to get the truck ready for another 100k plus miles. Seems a shame to dump it now. Below is a thread discussing similar symptoms. Maybe even try an engine flush with ATF or a flush product to see if you can loosen up the blocked tube (if that is a possible issue). Like others said, verify the oil pressure is actually low also. Maybe its bad harness or wiring to the pressure sensor?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Did you put an actual oil pressure gauge on the system to see what it really is? Spec is 12# at 1200 RPM when warmed up. I don't normally recommend this, but try an engine flush. I'm assuming the oil pump replacement went in and cleaned up the oil pump pickup in the pan. If it's within your skills or wallet, pull the head cover and clean up the inside of the head and the cover baffles - these engines (and many others) will gunk up if not treated to oil changes and not driven for long distances at highway speeds.

·
Registered
97 Posts
if you verify pressure with another gauge i would look into getting your engine rebuilt. a good shop can make it better than new!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you also replace all of the timing components when you replaced the oil pump? Did you check the oil pickup tube while you were in there? If you replaced the timing chain and components, it seems you have done some expensive work to get the truck ready for another 100k plus miles. Seems a shame to dump it now. Below is a thread discussing similar symptoms. Maybe even try an engine flush with ATF or a flush product to see if you can loosen up the blocked tube (if that is a possible issue). Like others said, verify the oil pressure is actually low also. Maybe its bad harness or wiring to the pressure sensor?

Yes I did all that you have mentioned. It does seem to do "better" with thicker oil, but Im not happy with doing that. After a few days of thought I think I am going to LS swap it. The truck is part of the family at this point, but Im done with the 3.5 engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 4x4 2006 Colorado that has 155k on the engine. Once the engine is at normal operating temp, I get the low oil light. I have since replaced the oil pump and oil pressure sensor, but it didnt fix the problem. The truck is lifted and in really good shape other than this oil pressure issue. I just hate to keep throwing money at it if there really isnt a fix for it. According to my local Chevy dealership, parts for the 3.5 are extremely hard to get and I cant find any crate 3.5s. Have any of you gone through this situation? View attachment 342532
My 2005 3.5 had a similar issue where the oil light came on at idle. I ended up replacing the oil pressor sensor twice. The first time not change. The second time fixed the problem. I have 305,000 miles on the engine. A engine flush my be a good idea.
fullsizeoutput_c7e.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2005 3.5 had a similar issue where the oil light came on at idle. I ended up replacing the oil pressor sensor twice. The first time not change. The second time fixed the problem. I have 305,000 miles on the engine. A engine flush my be a good idea.
View attachment 342535
did you use AC delco or another brand the second time?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts