Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 step forward, 2 steps back with this truck! I love it to death and i just want to find out whats wrong with it. its throwing a p0017 code, replaced the solenoid and the camshaft sensor, code is still there, if i rev up it drops below idle but doesnt stall, and it randomly stalled on me at a stoplight, but with no vibrations or anything, didnt even know it stalled until i went to take off. any one have any ideas? cleaned the tb and maf too!

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Crank sensor? It's a correlation code more likely related to the crankshaft position sensor. You will also need a CASE relearn if you replace the crankshaft position sensor.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
CASE relearn shouldn't be anymore than 1 hours labor, if they are a good dealer they will probably charge you for 20 minutes of their time. They just have to hook up a tech tool to the PCM follow a couple steps and then it's done, not really a big deal.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I replied in the PM, but I'll post here as well.

If you have tested the crank sensor and know that is fine then yes get a relearn because the camshaft sensor requires one as well. I will advise you to replace the crank sensor as well though since they are cheap and then get the CASE relearn because this covers all equipment under the code and will ensure the problem doesn't arise again anytime soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all im getting is the p0017 code. should i try replacing the crankshaft sensor also? and should i scrap the dorman solenoid and find an oem one?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I have replaced both and never had to do a case relearn. You would get a p0315 if you needed a case relearn.
BTW HPTuners can do a CR.

I suspect you have a defected sensor.
Only use oem parts.

Sent from SuperModulation AutoGuide.com App
It's still procedure to do a CASE relearn after replacing either the camshaft or crankshaft sensors. P0315 only sets when the variation is above a threshold which normally won't show up unless the new sensor is way off from the old one and not typically the case. Just because that code isn't there does not mean there is not a variation. P0017 shows that there is a variation beyond the PCM's limits focused on the two types of sensors with a tighter threshold than the general P0315 code.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
I have to agree with Supermod. Both of mine have been replaced and no case relearn has ever been done. No more codes after that. I used oem sensors. Just my Humble opinion.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I have to agree with Supermod. Both of mine have been replaced and no case relearn has ever been done. No more codes after that. I used oem sensors. Just my Humble opinion.

Well the GM issued repair book and the engineers who designed the system and repair guide are what I am referencing for this information.

Take it or leave it. No two sensors will read the exact same value unless the engineering standards of the sensor don't allow for it which is never the case. There is always a tolerance and any difference from one sensor to another will be picked up by the PCM. The sensors are a voltage generator and small variances will cause a difference in the sent signal.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Let me rephrase how I said that. Yes, GM service manual says to do it. I know there can be variances, but like Supermod said, it usually throws a p0315 when the case relearn is a must. Mine never threw anything but a p0017. Since I had 138000 miles on the truck at the time, I went ahead and replaced several sensors and the VVT solenoid all at the same time. I never got any more codes. All I think is that sometimes you might need it, and sometimes the variance is not enough to need the relearn. Again, Just my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your help, im going to get an oem vvt solenoid, and see if that does anything, and also gonna let it sit over night with the battery disconnected. ill let you all know what happens!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts