Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking around at hitches for my truck for a couple days now, and I'm pretty damn confused about what to get. If any of you guys have purchased a hitch for your truck, please let me know where you bought it, how much it was, how much you can pull with it, and if you had any problems with installation. I'm trying to keep this under 200 bucks, and here's what I've found so far:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=CHT%2D13254&N=700+4294908216+4294905108+4294846476+4294922915+115&autoview=sku
I'm not sure about the brand, although it is a good price.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=SSE%2D950%2D60217&N=700+4294908216+4294905108+4294846476+4294922915+115&autoview=sku
I don't have a roll pan, and I doubt this hitch is even an option.
http://www.1888pepboys.com/part.aspx?v=Chevy+Colorado
Here's where it gets confusing. I just stopped by the local Pep Boys in Hampton, and they said that the only hitch they could get for me was a Reese, and it was going to be $240 for just the hitch itself.
Thanks for any advice you guys can give. I'll keep you posted on what I end up going with, and how the install went.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
try craigslist in your area, im sure someone is bound to have one. One guy here in Arizona selling an OEM one for $75.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i have a hidden hitch class 3 hitch 6000lb i tow my 71 chevelle around no probs i bought it from www.jcwhitney.com i pad totally 180 for the harness and hitch

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both. Never thought about either of those places.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much was shipping on that bad boy???
Well, they had a special, free shipping for anything over $75, so I only had to pay $7.00 for oversized shipping, as opposed to the $24.00 it would have been. That offer ends today, too, so it may be worthwile to take advantage of it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm waiting to get the trailer to see what wiring I'm gonna need. I've never dealt with this kind of thing before, so I'm a little unsure of what I still need to buy.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
real heavy trailers ( the kind our trucks will rarely be able to tow) have there own set of brakes. The 7 pin (round) setup is for these trailers, and actually uses a signal from the trucks brake pedal to tell the trailer when to apply the brakes, you will need an in-cab brake controler and a 7 pin wiring harness for this. the most commonly pulled trailer for this size truck is small and does not have brakes. a 4 pin (flat) connector is used here. there are only 4wires: ground, tail, left/brake,right/brake . harnesses for a 4 pin connector are available in a kit, so there is no splicing required. plug it in and your ready to tow.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, well, this is a small enclosed motorcycle trailer. I guess the 4 pin it is then. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

theres the pics of the hitch u just bought moto.

if want more let me konw..installation took me like 15 mins.. really easy..

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Badass! I'll definitely let you know how it went/take pics of the installation.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
shimmy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts