Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So where is it? I didn't really look when I was out changing my oil but I didn't see it while briefly looking.

Anyone change one out yet?

Anyone have theirs go out yet?

Dealership changed my like $400 last time when my started died on my camaro... and i'd like to avoid that if I could and the task is simple enough.

Any info would help... the truck will start as on now, but this morning when I was leaving my girls place the starter sounded a lot weaker then usual. When I got home (15 mile drive on the highway) I shut off the truck waited a couple seconds and started it up again and everything started like normal with the usual strength... same when I went to the auto parts store and the truck didnt sit for more then 5 mins and started up strong.

I'm gonna let the truck sit for a couple hours and see if it's still weak... I really hope it isn't but i've got ~84k miles on the truck and i'm constantly starting the truck so I have a feeling this is the sad truth :(

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and i'm about 99.9999% sure but...

You can't push start an auto right? Just worried about working tonight... but I might just leave it running all night so hopefully it's busy :lol:

·
o.g.
3,412 Posts
you cant costart a auto. maybe the battery was just a little weak.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully it was just the battery being weak... but i mean the truck sat for less then usual overnight since I was out til like 2 last night and left around 8 this morning so that doesnt make sense.

Maybe the old oil was making it hard to start?

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks man... I figured without the manual clutch no push-start would be possible... but just wanted to double check ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
It sounds like something is draining the battery or it isn't holding a charge to me. I'd look there before I changed starters.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like something is draining the battery or it isn't holding a charge to me. I'd look there before I changed starters.
Well nothing was used in excess last night and I didn't leave anything plugged in the light ports so that doesn't make to much sense but i'm going outside to try it now since it's been sitting for a bit.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Take it to Auto-zone or whatever and have the battery checked.

Reactions: ZNA03

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starter sounds weak. I have a feeling it'll be dieing soon :(

Back to the above mentioned questions...

Anyone have one replaced? Cost?

Anyone replace it themselves? Difficulty?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Replace your stater if you like, but I'd bet it won't solve the problem. It sounds like the battery isn't holding a charge - have it checked.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 rep point for both of you guys (rangerbob, and fenderman) who said it was the batt.

Had the battery tested @ advanced auto and after he said "it's good" I noticed the battery was staying at 11.0-12.5 volts while the truck was running... NOT NORMAL. So I said i'll change the battery anyways to make sure its straight, they didnt have it in stock so I started the truck (barely) and made it to the next store over....

Just spent $80 on a new one from congress auto parts with a 5 year free replacement warrenty ;)

The old battery was actually steaming when I removed it from the box...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow steaming!!! That bitch was ready to blow. Glad you cought it prior to that happening. I've had one pop before and it makes a HUGE mess and that is before the baking soda needed to kill all the acid.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Glad you got the right part replaced. Nothing more frustrating than throwing parts at your ride and having the problem persist.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
wow. u got lucky not else happened.. glad ya fix the problem

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah... was wierd. Wasn't steaming like crazy but there was some comin out of the little vent port on the battery.

No corrosion and the battery was less then 2 years old... any reasoning for this or any ideas as to why it was steaming besides the obvious it was overheating.

So yeah just ran my bro to school to get his schedual and it started right up both times like usual.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm sure that you're having to deal with the same High heat that we are out here in Cali. That was what I was told was a major contributer to killing battery's.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bro... it's 90+ everyday here with crazy stupid humidity. Im sure thats what killed it... that and me using the radio (ampped ~800watts) with the truck off all the time without cranking the truck up after.

Either way it's fixed :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
All contributing factors......

But glad to hear you got it squared away!!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep... hopefully this one survives a bit longer. Either way the warrenty is nice on this one... 3 year free replacement, 5 year pro-rated after the 3 is up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts