Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i shouldve bought the I5 or something and the size of wheels dont help but my truck is so damn slow. What are some mods i can do that are not that expensive that can help speed the truck up. Im a total idiot when it comes to engine stuff, im usually about the visual stuff and interior and im just tired of always being out run by everyone. Even the little grandmas in the caravans. The damn truck cant get out of its own way.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Intake, exhaust, tune are the 3 things that will wake your truck up the most. I'd look into those first. If you only want to do one then I would do the tune, it will give the biggest driveability/horsepower increase out of any mod out there for our trucks.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
exactly what brake said, DEF go for the tune if anything at all. just remember the exhaust and intake will make a diff with your tune also.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Another thing, I don't know where you're from and if it's possible but would try and get a competant local tuner to do the tune. It's easier, quicker, and if anything needs adjusted later on it's 10x easier than trying to ship your PCM back out.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so do a tune first and then if lets say a few weeks down the road i get the exhaust and intake is this going to affect my truck where i need to retune again?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
It's not going to harm your truck, but you would get the best results with those mods already done before you tune. Another one I forgot, gutting the manifold cat. Look through the How-to on here, it's an easy 10hp that's free. It just takes a couple hours of your time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
yea wat they said man... and i think james(jhammond) told me your in the cape. if you need help with throwing some shit together just let me kno im over in lehigh

·
0 Posts
What gears do you have? Look in your glovebox for one of the following RPO codes:

GT4 Rear axle - 3.73 ratio
GT5 Rear axle - 4.10 ratio
GU6 Rear axle - 3.42 ratio

If you have the 3.42 gears your off the line performance is going to blow no matter what you do...these trucks really need 4.56 gears in the rear, too bad you can't find them even though AAM makes them for our rear ends....

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
What gears do you have? Look in your glovebox for one of the following RPO codes:

If you have the 3.42 gears your off the line performance is going to blow no matter what you do...these trucks really need 4.56 gears in the rear, too bad you can't find them even though AAM makes them for our rear ends....
AAM makes the 4.56 for the 8.6" rear, not the 8.0" rear. You can get up to 4.10's for the 8.0".

I would do a 93 octane tune as your first mod, it will make the biggest difference for not too much money.

·
Registered
845 Posts

I wonder if a 4.10 diff from a trailblazer would fit our trucks. I mean I know somethings are indentical like injectors, and throttle body.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Also dont forget that he has an I4 which naturally revs higher in every aspect. A higher gear ratio may cause him to be revvin high at cruising speeds if he goes bigger than 3.73. Maybe I dont know I could be wrong....just a thought though.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I wonder if a 4.10 diff from a trailblazer would fit our trucks. I mean I know somethings are indentical like injectors, and throttle body.
yes, it shares the same rear gear and diff.

Also dont forget that he has an I4 which naturally revs higher in every aspect. A higher gear ratio may cause him to be revvin high at cruising speeds. Maybe I dont know I could be wrong....just a thought though.
with either engine you'll be cruising at crazy RPM's with 4.56 gears

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
true but i think the I5 could handle the 4.10 nicely. 4.56 is crazy. strictly race set up.
It'd be cool for around town, but I'd rather hit myself in the face with a bag full of hammers than use a setup like that for a regular highway commute.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It'd be cool for around town, but I'd rather hit myself in the face with a bag full of hammers than use a setup like that for a regular highway commute.
your talking about 4.10's or 4.56? its not a HUGE difference but it could still be felt.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
your talking about 4.10's or 4.56? its not a HUGE difference but it could still be felt.
Sorry, guess I should have specified. I was talking about 4.56's. It'd be too much, unless you swapped in a 6spd. A T56 would be way too heavy of a trans to put behind the I4 though, it'd eat up too much power.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts