Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

I5 Engine unknown issue

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  OldGuy 
#1 ·
So, my sons 2012 Canyon shredded a serpentine belt. I was surprised since it has only 52K on the clock, but figured "it happens" Had it towed to our shop and they found one of the bolts on the drivers side idler pulley was gone. They also noticed some oil leakage. Further investigation reveals the oil is ether coming from the main seal or oil pump. They will have to tear into it later today to figure out which. Are these engines prone to such an early failure? I'm inclined to believe the idler pully and oil leak are related. I5 engine. Thoughts?

#2 ·
No not a common issue. 1st time I have seen the problem you describe and have been following this and another forum for past 6-7 years. Mines a 2005 with 190k and have not seen oil leaks in the seal or oil pump area. The serpentine belt has been on it since I got it at 112k and no issue with it or tensioner.

#3 ·
There's no way a 52k motor should have a bad seal or oil pump, unless it has been grossly neglected from an oil change perspective. That will be a very expensive repair, BTW. Personally, I'd have them fix the belt and weigh some options on the oil leak before diving in.

#4 ·
Oil pump is causing the leak? No, thats not how it works. Maybe a rear seal if there aren't any oil leaks on top running down the back of the engine. If it is a rear main seal, there are fluid additives that work good at making the rubber seals swell and stop leaking. But then I've seen rear seals with the rubber lip destroyed for no reason, and that is a major leak.

The bolt breaking is just from getting loose, but you need a second opinion on the oil leak.

#7 ·
I have an '04 with 250,000 miles. Runs great, and no leaks. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings here, but in my humble opinion, a guy that has a vehicle towed to a repair shop to have a fan belt replaced is going to be taken advantage of. If they're going to "tear into it", you've apparently already agreed to pay a pile of money for a problem that probably doesn't exist. Have you noticed any oil stains in your driveway? If there's an oil leak of any significance, don't you think you would have known before you took it to the shop to get the fan belt replaced? Have you been adding oil to it between oil changes? Oh, maybe it's never had the oil level checked. Just a suggestion, but encourage your son to change his own oil, check things out under the hood, check oil levels and look at the fan belt occasionally while he's under the hood. You don't know if this was a catastrophic event, or just a belt that has been working toward a failure over a long period of time and if the bolt for the pully has been working loose for a while. I would never give permission to someone to "tear into" my truck to diagnose a problem that you didn't even know you had. Again, oil leaks of any significance don't just "magically" become apparent when you take the truck to the shop. There would be signs of it in your driveway, in the oil level if/when it's checked and ultimately, the oil light would come on telling you you have low oil pressure caused by a low oil level. I'd run as fast as you can away from that shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.