Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently searching for a Xtreme and had some questions about the I5 engine, I didnt want to clutter up my WTB post so I figure here would be a good spot. :)

I am having a hard time finding any xtremes with less than 50k or so its been suggested I widen my mileage limits. Leads me to wondering what the reliability of the I5 is? I realize they are made by Isuzu imo that leads me to think they are pretty good... But having never owned one I am not sure.

Maybe you guys can take me to school!

·
Registered
11 Posts
well, mine is on '04 with 190k miles, still going. I have done regular maintenance and replaced the thermostat. No major repairs yet.

·
Spoolin Jr. Survivor
6,613 Posts
they are not made by Isuzu. Atlas is the company that builds the engines for the H3 (I-5), trailblazer (I-6), and colorado/canyons (I-4 & I-5)

·
Spoolin Jr. Survivor
6,613 Posts
Isuzu models in the US are mainly GM vehicles with an Isuzu badge. I've beat the living crap out of my I-5 and basic maintenance is all she needed.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
I've had my Colorado since new in 2004 and I'm getting ready to break 100K.

The truck and motor have never failed or left me waiting for a ride!

There are plenty of these trucks out there with 200-300k on them; so no need to worry.

·
Super Moderator
3,568 Posts
look for a 3.7L to avoid the defective cylinder head issue... or make sure the 3.5L you buy has one that has been replaced

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
2005 with 210,000 still runs fine.
1 starter
5 coils
1 battery
1 waterpump

Just do the maintenance and deal with the small issues as they arrive.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,286 Posts
GM also extended the warranty on the motors to 100k.

It not like all over the 3.5 had the head issue; it was really only a hand full of them.

So with that said, I'd buy without a worry!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My 04 GMC has been great with only battery being replaced about 45,000 miles and now did a cable heads were replaced for $12.57. Just do the normal maintance you should be good,
I need to get my low idle fixed. 79,562 right now .

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I have an 07 with 92,000 and no problems at all. Like everyone else says just do your regular maintenance and you should be fine.

·
5cylinder and Tire slayer
16,419 Posts
2 motors before 100k miles.

Love the 5clyinders but no longer have faith in them.

I beat the shit out of mine. And several others did too and theirs lasted. Some that baby them around still dropped motors. They seem to have the same knock when they go..

I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to buy one.. But personally I don't have much faith in them anymore

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine is still/was running strong 95,644 miles in
Only thing I've needed to replaced was a battery. Everything else i wanted not so much needed.
Like everyone says regular maintenance!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have no experience with the 5cyl. But I can tell you I added a very healthy V8 108,000 miles ago and am still running the stock rear-end,driveshaft,u-joints,axles,etc. and I drive it very hard!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts