Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the engine and trans from an 05 Z71 4x2 go in an 06 LS?? Both 3.5 I5 Colorados.
Or, does anyone near Asheville NC have a rebuildable engine to fit my 06?
Thanks,
Fred

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Yup, direct swap. The only thing that might be an issue is the oil pan is taller on the Z71 so if your lowered it will hand down lower than yours. Simple solution, just swap the pans.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Fuel system is different. 2006 switched to a return less

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pan swapping I could handle, will the fuel system on my 06 bolt on?? Truck is stock except I am burning CNG. I would like to mill (mill, not just resurface) the head to increase Compression ratio a little, my mechanical instinct tells me this should alter valve timing. Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all!! I am looking at an 05 Z71 4x2 that's been wrecked. 200k on it, man sez it runs great, shifts great, AC even werx. Tailgate and doors good. He wants $1000, I had a business wanting $1995 for a motor with 61k. Should I try to get it for 8 or $900?

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
I would try for a lot less, that's a lot of miles on it. I got my 07 motor for $1,400 shipped to my door with 72k miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Jesse and FixxxerKH202!!! It's been a while! I'd like to share info on CNG. Thanks to a co-workers math and spreadsheet skills we decided to Mill the head 0.050" to get a compression ratio of 11.5:1. I did the clay on the piston trick with the top end mocked up, plenty of clearence! A word to your machinist! Set up the head on the "nodes/squish points" in the head. I had to cc the combustion chambers because the original milling was OFF! Runs well on 89 octane. You fellas still out there??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts