Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have an unusual request for you ideas for the dilemma I am in.

I purchased a 2007 Z71 Canyon with Astro Body kit from my employer and began the process of returning it to a stock config. I purchased a used 6' truck bed as I though this frame was a standard cab truck. After installation of the "new" bed, I found out that the frame is 126" wheelbase called a chassis cab. So you can see the bed does not meet the cab.

I need your ideas on what to put in this empty space. Or what would you do?

My thoughts (I have already sold the Astro Body kit, so I cannot put it back on)

1. Purchase mid box / bed option but I cannot find just the bed and box.
2. Have body shop extend the bed to a 7' bed
3. Convert to home made flatbed
4. Leave as is and enjoy all the stares I currently get.

Thank you all! I look forward to your ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
If I was in your place I would keep the short bed and add the half cc doors for the toolbox, like the bottom right-hand picture.

It just looks so good

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks like an old Cook's Pest Control truck. My nephew works for them. They quit running them because they couldn't keep front tires from wearing out. Went back to full size.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'd like to see #2 happen although it's probably the most work and most expensive. I doubt it's ever been done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I was in your place I would keep the short bed and add the half cc doors for the toolbox, like the bottom right-hand picture.

It just looks so good

That was my original plan. But these trucks hardly ever show up in salvage yards in OK, and when they do, they are beat to hell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could also replace the frame... or shorten the frame. A regular cab with a 5' bed might be interesting.

Whatever you do it's going to be expensive.

I've thought about frame replace/ mod or cab replacement but thought it would be wiser to sell truck and buy what I wanted rather than go the through the expense of those options.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Out of the box thinking on this one. I know you all have better ideas than I do. Or wish you had this frame to do something really cool with. What would you want to do with this frame?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
I'd love to see the bed extended to a 7' bed personally.

You could also swap the cab out with an Extended cab... possibly?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't think of any inexpensive ways to do this. Turning it into a flatbed may be the most economical.
As I have no ideas on the costs of some of these suggestions, I'm just looking for suggestions at this time. No real budget set until I find the right thing to do. Once the decision is made o can determine the practicality of doing the changes.

Ive even thought about a salt water aquarium install just as a completely out of the box thinking. But not sure if PETA would be happy with this idea. Haha.

Also thought about a CNG tank if I ever converted the truck to run it.

If you talk to anyone else maybe they would have some ideas? Please keep me in mind.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Wedge a welder in one side and a toolbox in the other. Or stacks! Giant douchey 16" diameter stacks!

Please don't do stacks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wedge a welder in one side and a toolbox in the other. Or stacks! Giant douchey 16" diameter stacks!

Please don't do stacks.
Giant exhaust stacks! Now were talking! That's a great idea! Lol. But it is one I have yet to think about.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts