Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who installed the Redline Tuning gas hood prop kit, did you apply any sort of sealer or touch-up paint to the holes drilled for the brackets?

I can't imagine that touch-up paint will really stand up to inserting and popping the rivets..
I'd hate to have it start rusting out from the rivets.

·
Registered
424 Posts
After I installed/riveted the ball socket brackets, I put a few drops of motor oil on the rivets and around the base of the brackets where they contact the fender/hood. The motor oil will wick it's way in and around the drilled holes/rivets providing rust protection.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I put some touch-up paint. Mainly because the instructions told me to. Whether or not it does anything we shall see.

·
CALI BOSS
6,309 Posts
I put silicone in the holes prior to installing the brackets. No rust on the fenders or hood that I can see and it's been 7 years

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I just put them in and called it a day. May spray with WD40 from time to time. Not too worried.
Exactly what I did. Though I did spray wd-40 on the holes before I put the rivets through.
Back 10 years ago, I put a hard cover on the bed and did the same thing and it hasn't rusted out at all yet.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Many moons ago, when I owned/rode snowmobiles a ton in MN, I did same as DBNissan suggested...place a drop of silicone in any hole you're installing rivets. Gives it added moisture protection/seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts