Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering the new Colorado v6 engine has comparable engine specs to the first current gen v8 engines, how does the new v6 stack up to the 3.5, 3.7, and 5.3? For those of you who have driven the new truck, does it feel peppier or pull harder when you go WOT? I don't ever plan on towing, but I would like a truck that is quicker and more get up and go than my current 2005 3.5 truck...

~Troy

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
From what I have seen the transmission tuning of the automatic makes it seem sluggish. I have yet to drive something that's been tuned though.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Is feels sluggish but got to WOT and it wakes up. Pulls hard all the way to the redline.

·
Nation Lurker
799 Posts
Compared to a stock V8, it seems to have less power, the trans is sluggish. I wasn't able to get it to WOT, so I can't tell you about that. A good tune will wake it up and make it a nice mover.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Looks heavier than the 1st gen trucks, if just hope this guys took care of the weight to power ratio.

lb/ft had a increase of 8-10% but looks way more heavier than a first gen crew cab 3.7L Z71.

I really doubt this truck is quicker than a 1st gen 5.3L V8.

More torque with the V8 and way less weight.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Let's also take into consideration this truck is bigger than our 355's. Is it not?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
if i read things right the first gear in the 6spd is a 4.16.
it should get moving quicker than it does

·
Registered
267 Posts
Drove the truck the other day, it seems more sluggish than my 3.5. Obviously the tune will fix it but I had a customer come in and hated it the truck just because when he went wot it took literally 3 seconds to do anything

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
3 seconds to unleash the beast?? dude its to much time! some maneuvers on the real life occur in less than a second and its when you need all da powa!!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
pretty much the same the a 2015 Equinox with the same V6 kicked
my brother's ass, same with the Camaro V6 kicked his ass.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
just like someone said, we need a drag race between a 1st gen and a 2nd gen, and need to be done by some of us cause I believe half a shit from magazines reviews and tests.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
GM tuned the damn things to get better MPG to be in compliance with the CAFE laws shit. Remember, bc of the lame tuning, GM can get away wil making beast like the Z/28 and the new ZO6........tho in reality they get damn good gas mileage too

Tune it and be happy

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah I agree a tune would be the easy fix, I am sure if you baby it you can get every bit of 28mpg as well. I've took a trip in the new fullsize and its rated 22 i believe and got it up to 25mpg. That is alil highway and NC back roads

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Mine started at 17MPGs but one month later and 1000 miles it is at 21MPGs and seems to be still climbing. That is combined city and highway. Haven't done a whole tank on the highway yet to see.

As for power, it also is getting better as it breaks in. Makes a pretty noise at WOT and will get up to Toll road speed very quickly.

My only complaint is it is missing some of the gadgets the Acadia Denali it replaced had such as seat memory, seat cooling and the garage door button on the overhead console. What can I say I'm lazy..

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ok,what's the race ? an I5 vs a V6 or a V8 vs a V6 ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts