Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys help is needed... anyone with an actual knowledge of the wheels for the truck i ask your help

i have come to the conclusion that there isnt one soul within my general area of residence that knows a single freakin thing about rims...or even wants to help me...

i have gone to 5 or 6 diff places yesterday only to get obsolutely nowhere... from what i understand, all of their books say that the rado is supposed to have a 35-42mm offset. however when i remove my center cap on my stockie, it says it is a 15x6.5 with a 23mm offset...why is this? is this correct as well? my wheel is flush with fender and the wheel is stock from factory, yet noone around here seems to be able to tell me why mine says 23mm when all the books say 35-42...not even the freakin dealership.

also if those numbers are correct, then what size wheels can i fit without sticking out i want it as in as much as possible cuz my stocks do rub on top and i dont wanna risk rubbing the fender on the new tires sidewall.

if i go with a 20x8.5 wheel, that messes up the offset and i have to go higher offset because it is a wider wheel right?

how about a 20x9...how would this fit..

no one around here seems to be able to answer me these questions cuz they are all freakin idiots and dont wanna TRY to obtain my business by helping me out...even the ones that "test fit" didnt want to help because "im not looking to buy very soon so i cant waste my time with this" then i guess you dont want my business either...

anyways thats my vent session if anyone knows his stuff please help me get into a good wheel/tire combo thats gonna work. i have all the numbers/specs for the wheels i want if you need them

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
here's some info i got a while back when i was lookin for rims... hop it helps:

Lug pattern is 6x5.5" or 6x139.7mm, you need a hub bore diameter larger than 100.1mm, and for offset it depends on what you're doing, how wide the wheels are and how much you plan on dropping it. For a 20x8.5 a +25mm or higher is recommended if you plan on dropping a lot, you can get away with something like a +15 or +18 but they'll be even with the fenders or stick out a little bit depending on if you have flares and what kind of flares.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i have already dropped it 3/4 and i knew the numbers for the stocks already but if i understand it right the aftermarket wheels are lug centric so as long as it fits over the hub im good...correct me if im wrong on that...

still if anyone knows why my wheels say 23mm offset please let me know that one question is buggin me! lol

also mine is a z85 base model so what ever flares (if any) on that is what i got

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
no flares on the z85....
i have a 2/3 drop on my z85 crew and have 20's with a 25 offset :shrug:

here are the specs on the american racing RT-S, only cause i know alot of 355's have these rims

20x8.5 +25<-offset 5 3/4<-backside 6-5 1/2bolt pattern H3/Colorado/Canyon

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I Have 22-9 With A 31 Offset And A 4-5 Drop And They Are Fine So Looks Like Anything Thats 9 Or Wider You Will Need At 31 Or More Of A Offset.

·
Quadruple O.G.
5,624 Posts
When I had my 20's they were 20x9's with a 20 offset and they were flush with the wheel wells ecept for the passanger side rear.....but thats because the rear end is offset a little from gm.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
still if anyone knows why my wheels say 23mm offset please let me know that one question is buggin me! lol
because they are only 6.5" wide, they require less offset to sit flush...when you add width you are adding it mostly on the inside of the wheel so you want a higher offset.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
hey, what are your intentions? if you're just going to drop it and be done with it, then with a 20x8.5 wheel, you should look for at least a +25mm offset. if you are going to 'bag the truck, then look for the highest possible offset you can find (i got mine custom made with a +38mm offset). even with the higher offset wheels you may have to narrow the rear end in order to not rub the fenders when aired out.

i hope that helps you out. also talk to lancers, he knows more about this than i do.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My wheels are 22x9.5" with a +32mm offset and they sit flush with my Xtreme flares. On a Z85 they would stick out a good inch -/+.

I would go with a 20x8.5" with a +40mm Offset, or somewhere near that.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take a look at this rim & tire size calculator. Play with it a little bit and you will start to understand why the offset is different for your stock wheels. Like Carbon08 said the width is the reason the stocks have a lower offset and sit flush.
Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - RIMS-N-TIRES
ok now how would i read this to see if everything fits i have the input the numbers and all and heigth wise its fine but width wise im not sure if it would fit properly whats the best way to read this

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey, what are your intentions? if you're just going to drop it and be done with it, then with a 20x8.5 wheel, you should look for at least a +25mm offset. if you are going to 'bag the truck, then look for the highest possible offset you can find (i got mine custom made with a +38mm offset). even with the higher offset wheels you may have to narrow the rear end in order to not rub the fenders when aired out.

i hope that helps you out. also talk to lancers, he knows more about this than i do.
My wheels are 22x9.5" with a +32mm offset and they sit flush with my Xtreme flares. On a Z85 they would stick out a good inch -/+.

I would go with a 20x8.5" with a +40mm Offset, or somewhere near that.

see thats what confuses me i got two diff numbers here...guess ill just have to try and take a chance huh?

thansk for all ur help guys and pleas continue helping me if anyone else has any answers

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
because they are only 6.5" wide, they require less offset to sit flush...when you add width you are adding it mostly on the inside of the wheel so you want a higher offset.
how is adding the extra width going to afect my turning and stuff. is it gonna rub fender on tire or anywhere when im turning?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok now how would i read this to see if everything fits i have the input the numbers and all and heigth wise its fine but width wise im not sure if it would fit properly whats the best way to read this
nvm i think im figuring it out

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks alot cola this thing is really helping...now one more question for anyone who has a z85 with 20x8.5 wheels and sits flush...how close to your brakes and suspension is the wheel? and is there any rubbing?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

hey where did you get yours custom made and how much would i be looking at if i did that

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
ok thanks alot cola this thing is really helping...now one more question for anyone who has a z85 with 20x8.5 wheels and sits flush...how close to your brakes and suspension is the wheel? and is there any rubbing?
hey where did you get yours custom made and how much would i be looking at if i did that
my wheels are 20x8.5 with a +38mm backspacing. i'm running 245/40R20 tires. i do not rub at full lock. they sit flush with the fenders.

there is a place out in california Custom wheels, car rims, truck rims, chrome rims, chrome wheels, discount tires i went through them to get the wheels made. the ones i got were in one of two different offsets that the rims come in regularly, but they didn't have any so they had to make them for me. they were 1700 bucks. they would have been a lot more if they were billet.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
how do you think this will run

20x9 offset 30, with a 235/35/20 Nitto NT555 Extreme tire...according to the calcualtor it fits and only brings the wheels in another .5" to the brakes which if i measured right would leave me .5" of clearance..

you think a 235 would be ok and would a 235 fit a 9 inch wheel

also greg according to the calculator that wouldve brought your wheels in 1" to your brakes/suspension...what is your clearance?
yours is z85 with 3/4 drop right?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i didnt know i thought it was the only way to run a 9 inch wheel but the calculator says a 245/35/20 on a 20x9 inch wheel with 30mm offset will stick out .1" from the fender but bring it in .7" to the brake/suspension...i only have 1 inch clearance from my spoke to the brake caliper now...how would that work? would it be ok that close?

also boss 313 is a 20x8.5 with a 40mm offset on same tire and it says that comes in 1.1" to brake/suspension...yet ive seen these on the rados before...im confused lol

im srry i really am paying attention to you guys i just hear so many diff things im srry if i seem annoying...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts