Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everybody's take on a in bed spare? I built me one but kind of hesitant on posting a picture. Its not bolted in yet as I wanna get my bed spray lined and also the holder. If anybody has seen the newer dodges, instead of the loops they used they have a new hook system. It goes across the bumper with 6 bolts and 2 hooks facing towards both sides of the truck. Will I took this new hook and welded a square tubing 'T' to it at a slant. Drilling some holes and got some all-thread (needs to be cut to size, after I get my bigger tire and rim) and welded a backing bar to the said 'T'. I plan to bolt the existing 6 holes in the hook system to the bed, should be wide enough that no under bed modification will be needed. As for the backing bar I drilled a 1/2 hole into some strap steel, welded a nut to it then welded that to the square tube, for this under the bed I plan to use a 6x6inch plate and on top use a 4x4inch plate to sandwich the bed thus keeping it from ripping up during vibrations.....or dun dun dun (airtime!)

I'm I dumb for trying this or should I post a pic for everyone to see?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Mines tied down with a piece of rope... ;)

I'd like something more permanent but the rope works perfectly for my use. Why wouldnt you post your pictures? Scared someone will say something negative about your design over... dun dun dun... the internet? :lol:

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
hey riverboy, post up those pics! im curious to see what your doing with this... BTW i was just barely able to fit a 32" tire under my bed, but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Here is something to give you guys the idea:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is gunna be mounted up closer to the cab and is more angled than that one. I won't be able to see out the rear window (which I don't look out anyway) but there will be no problem with that for me. Another dodge with he hook that I used came into the shop today so I snagged that one too. So if I don't incorperate it into my tubed bumpers I will be willing to make or sell the hook straight out to another member for cheap!

Heres the hook:

And the proposed build in animation: as you can see the black dots there is a raised peice, I will admit I flawed my design my only using 2 bolts(yellow) to hold the tire instead of 3 so this raised section is to keep the tire from wobbling so much. The blue dots of course are the back bar to hold it stable.

Hopefully ya'll can see what I did cuz I can't get photos until monday as the holder is at my work.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
looking good man... interesting in seeing the finished product

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh its finished besides getting it spray lined. I'm just waiting to get the money to line it and the bed before I mount it for good. Pictures monday!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hey its monday .. an still no pics.. WTF :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got off of the work place job where ya get the money in your back pocket! :econo:

Pics : as you can see the colors I used for the animiation were spot on with black and red :thumb2

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 23 Posts